Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
brand newb
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bear of a time getting my Nevegals to seat the bead on some LaserDisc Trail rims. This is all OEM equipment on my new Trance X2. I bought some lightweight tubes and replaced them this afternoon. The Nevegal seams to have a VERY tight clearance with my rim. I tried the soapy water technique and have inflated them pretty high and will let them sit overnight.

While doing all of this I noticed something about the rim and the rim tape inside. The rim tape is in the channel of the rim AND up on the ledge nearest the bead channel. I've done up a small graphic to explain. Is this normal? If not, should I try and cut the tape down to expose the "ledge"? Or should I just pull that tape out and buy some new rim tape? The rim tape has a texture to it and I'm sure it's keeping the tire from getting a seat on the bead compared to the smooth surface of the rim inside.

I'm actually considering upgrading the wheelset on this thing anyway, but I don't want to have wobbly tires until I decide to do that. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have Laserdisc XC rims that have narrow 11mm WTB rim strips that are just wide enough to cover the spokes channel. Don't have any problems putting tires on the rims. I think you can buy these WTB rim strips separately.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
madmike283 said:
I'm having a bear of a time getting my Nevegals to seat the bead on some LaserDisc Trail rims. This is all OEM equipment on my new Trance X2. I bought some lightweight tubes and replaced them this afternoon. The Nevegal seams to have a VERY tight clearance with my rim. I tried the soapy water technique and have inflated them pretty high and will let them sit overnight.

While doing all of this I noticed something about the rim and the rim tape inside. The rim tape is in the channel of the rim AND up on the ledge nearest the bead channel. I've done up a small graphic to explain. Is this normal? If not, should I try and cut the tape down to expose the "ledge"? Or should I just pull that tape out and buy some new rim tape? The rim tape has a texture to it and I'm sure it's keeping the tire from getting a seat on the bead compared to the smooth surface of the rim inside.

I'm actually considering upgrading the wheelset on this thing anyway, but I don't want to have wobbly tires until I decide to do that. Thanks for the input.

Mike
The rim tape should be only in the bottom of the center drop.

You will probably still need the soapy water to get the tire to seat.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yup with a rim....

that has a deep spoke bed channel like the WTB Laser Disc you can get away with rim tape that fits down in the channel. I've found that with rims that have a very shallow channel or no channel at all it's not adviseable as the tape can migrate and uncover spoke holes causing flats. But with deep channel rims like the WTB it's better to use tape that fits down inside the channel. It helps lessen or eliminate the very problem you are having. So give it a try, I think your results will be better.

Good Dirt

·
brand newb
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, thanks for the input. I got some 11mm rim tape from Performance this afternoon and it fits perfectly in the channel of the WTB rim. I decided to give it a try without soapy water and at right around 60psi the final portion of the bead popped into place. At least now I know what it takes and what to expect when I have a flat out on the trail.

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
madmike283 said:
Again, thanks for the input. I got some 11mm rim tape from Performance this afternoon and it fits perfectly in the channel of the WTB rim. I decided to give it a try without soapy water and at right around 60psi the final portion of the bead popped into place. At least now I know what it takes and what to expect when I have a flat out on the trail.
I am glad you posted this because these rims have been giving me absolute fits. Narrower rim tape + copious amounts of soap + pumping the tires up to 60 psi gets them 99% there.

Naturally, after getting them that 99%, I managed to snap off the little stem in the presta valve. :p

gabrielle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.