Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mstoddard
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband and I are flying up to Whistler this weekend for a weeklong honeymoon of riding...we're both finding it difficult to fit our bikes (mine - med-Heckler; his - lrg-Bullit) into the plastic Trico and Performance bike boxes. I've flown an old Specialized XC bike a few years back without any difficulty but with the beefier chainstays, big forks, disc rotors, etc. things don't fit quite the same. We managed to fit the Heckler in last night but not without literally taking the entire bike apart, deflating tires, etc.

Anyone have any tricks or tips to make this a little easier and still protect the bike?

Thanks!

·
DHR Rider
94 Posts
Here are some tips...

lil' kid said:
So my husband and I are flying up to Whistler this weekend for a weeklong honeymoon of riding...we're both finding it difficult to fit our bikes (mine - med-Heckler; his - lrg-Bullit) into the plastic Trico and Performance bike boxes. I've flown an old Specialized XC bike a few years back without any difficulty but with the beefier chainstays, big forks, disc rotors, etc. things don't fit quite the same. We managed to fit the Heckler in last night but not without literally taking the entire bike apart, deflating tires, etc.

Anyone have any tricks or tips to make this a little easier and still protect the bike?

Thanks!
I also have a Trico Iron case and have used it for many years without problems. Yes, once I got my freeride bike, it was a new challenge to try and get it to fit inside there. Basically, I managed to make it fit by taking apart my triple crown fork, removing the shock to collapse the rear linkage, of course take out the seatpost and handlebars, and also remove the rear derailleur from its mount. That reallly gained me a lot of extra space by reducing the overall length of the bike. Yes, it means a lot of dismantling, but thats the price one has to pay I'm afraid. =(

Once I have the frame settled n well positioned, I just put the sandwich layer foam in between, throw my wheels (remove the rotors!!!) in there and then close up the case. Voila, no biggie. Its a lot easier to have someone help u when closing the case tho'... that can be quite a pain in the butt to do properly. Best thing is to sit on the case while doing it.

Unfortunately, travelling with FR/DH bikes makes it a lot more complicated because of the dimension of many components and the bikes long wheelbase. I'm still wondering how I'm going to fit my Turner DHR into the case, but I assume it will be along the same lines as my freeride bike.

Also, the case is cool for travelling, because you can stuff all sorts of riding related gear in there. And pesky customs officials often have no idea that there is an expensive bike in there, and so they don't stop you for "trying to smuggle in a new bike". Believe me, I've experienced it all.

Cohiba

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Cohiba said:
Also, the case is cool for travelling, because you can stuff all sorts of riding related gear in there. And pesky customs officials often have no idea that there is an expensive bike in there, and so they don't stop you for "trying to smuggle in a new bike". Believe me, I've experienced it all.

Cohiba
can anyone explain to the deal with canadian customs? whats the problem with bringing a bike along? im just wanted to know cause this is mentioned alot--ex. cant ship parts/ bikes--stuff like that without problems...whats the deal?

·
DHR Rider
94 Posts
it depends...

Master_Jako said:
can anyone explain to the deal with canadian customs? whats the problem with bringing a bike along? im just wanted to know cause this is mentioned alot--ex. cant ship parts/ bikes--stuff like that without problems...whats the deal?
Its not necessarily only the case with Canada, but also with a lot of foreign countries. If you live in Canada, go on holiday and take your bike along, that is okay. BUT, on your reentry into the country, customs might want to take a look at your bike, and if you don't have any proof of purchase that it was bought in Canada, then u might have to pay import duties & other taxes on it.

If you buy stuff from the US, say from mail order, and have it sent to Canada, then of course you're going to have to pay customs. Most packages are checked and you will have to pay import duties on the advertised value of the goods. Cheap mail order prices do not necessarily mean an overall cheaper price for you at the bottom line, if you have to factor in taxes n duties. =(

Cohiba

·
mstoddard
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't heard of problems with Canadian customs...can anyone enlighten me?

I've flown up to backpack...never had any problems with customs looking through my backpack...but I haven't flown to Canada with a bike box.

·
Registered
500 Posts
here's one.......

lil' kid said:

Thanks!
Since airlines usually screw you for shipping large items, try shipping it to where you are staying.

Beau

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.