Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've bought myself a new front wheel:
Hope Pro II hub, Mavic EX823 rim, Michelin Mud 3 DH tyre.
I build the wheel up yesterday and got it trued but I am having trouble inflating the tyre.
I spent a good couple of hours with all the tips ive heard but couldn't get enough air in to get the beads to pop in.

I then put in a tube, and inflated to get at least one of the beads seated. I tried again with the other bead but the soapy water bubbles all around the rim, and I can't get air in fast enough with my little 12v car pump.

I've tried around at fuel stations but they weren't powerful enough. Am I right in thinking I need a larger compressor, industrial size just to get the bead out of the gorge and up into its seat?

Any tips would be great, I want to ride tomorrow :cool: and I'm determined to get this wheel running.

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Just bought a compressor for this very reason:)

Anyway, here are some tips I just used to air up some tubeless-ready tires:

Make sure the beads are on either side of the valve and tap/pull the sides to make sure that happens.

Soap the tire beads as well as the rim beads. I have done this with a floor pump before but it's a wortheless waste of energy sometimes so I found a good one on sale at Walmart and picked it up. It was a lot easier.

Normally, the air is escapes from the sides near the valve-stem area so focus on that. I wish I could spread the tire bead out a bit better at that spot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
grahamjtriggs said:
Hello,
I've bought myself a new front wheel:
Hope Pro II hub, Mavic EX823 rim, Michelin Mud 3 DH tyre.
I build the wheel up yesterday and got it trued but I am having trouble inflating the tyre.
I spent a good couple of hours with all the tips ive heard but couldn't get enough air in to get the beads to pop in.

I then put in a tube, and inflated to get at least one of the beads seated. I tried again with the other bead but the soapy water bubbles all around the rim, and I can't get air in fast enough with my little 12v car pump.

I've tried around at fuel stations but they weren't powerful enough. Am I right in thinking I need a larger compressor, industrial size just to get the bead out of the gorge and up into its seat?

Any tips would be great, I want to ride tomorrow :cool: and I'm determined to get this wheel running.

Graham
Those little car compressors put out less air than a good floor pump.

Any compressor that does not have a pressure tank is not going to deliver much air volume. That includes the coin operated pumps now used at most gas stations.

Try a floor pump or get a portable pressure tank (~$25 at most auto parts stores) and inflate it at the gas station.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
Try a floor pump or get a portable pressure tank (~$25 at most auto parts stores) and inflate it at the gas station.
I hadn't thought of one of those, I'll head down to autoparts and see what they have.

In fact i headed over to my friends house yesterday, his dad is an engineer and has a big compressor, but he is away for two weeks. his son is going to ask him when he calls if I can use it first, just in case I mess something up and he's not here :madman:

I have one last question:
Is sealant a good idea to use in tubeless systems, even if both rim and tyre are designed to be tubeless?
I'm expecting my bottle of Stans sealant to arrive tomorrow - will this help me inflate my tyre?

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved!!!

:thumbsup: :p :D :cool:

I finally managed to get it inflated using my single cylinder foot pump and little 12v car pump!
I already had one bead seated using the tube, and i pinched and tugged at the other side and managed to get about half the bead up out of the gorge, almost in its seat. This meant the rest of the bead in the gorge was tight, and made a pretty good seal. I pumped like crazy to about 40psi, then quickly changed to the 12v pump and went all the way to the recommended 10% above stated pressure on the sidewall (about 65psi). Now both beads are locked in and it's holding air :cool:

Thanks for all the help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
grahamjtriggs said:
I hadn't thought of one of those, I'll head down to autoparts and see what they have.

In fact i headed over to my friends house yesterday, his dad is an engineer and has a big compressor, but he is away for two weeks. his son is going to ask him when he calls if I can use it first, just in case I mess something up and he's not here :madman:

I have one last question:
Is sealant a good idea to use in tubeless systems, even if both rim and tyre are designed to be tubeless?
I'm expecting my bottle of Stans sealant to arrive tomorrow - will this help me inflate my tyre?

Graham
If thorn punctures are a problem in your area a sealant is a good idea. Otherwise it is a PITA and not needed and will not help in mounting the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
I'm a little amazed that you had such a problem seating your tire. I've got Mavic XM819 rims and have used several tire brands over the past few years. I always make sure that the beads are well into the gorge but make sure that they are not sitting over the valve. I hold the wheel vertically with the valve at the top and I push down on the tire above the valve a bit to spread the beads and hold them in place. I don't even use soapy water anymore. Last winter I had ice rattling around in my tires:crazy: which drove me nuts so I tried mounting without soap and it worked fine. I do use a really good floor pump though. A Topeak Twister.

Ronnie.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top