Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Big M, Little organ.
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5 spot that I've put many miles on over the last year or so. When doing routine maintenance I have yet to get any grease to enter the bushings. It pretty much just comes right back out. Is this something to be worreied about? From other posts it seems like some need grease more than others...but Im now at over a year Im starting to wonder if Im doing something wrong. Im using prep-m and the recommended injector nozzle.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yes, they should take grease at some point. After greasing you should also see a bit of weeping at the oring seals for a few rides after. It may be time to remove the torx bolts and slide the pivot shafts out and see what's up. If they get totally dry they can develop a sort of vapor-lock. It seems to take a coat of grease to conduct subsequent grease. If there is no play in the pivots then just wiping everything down well and applying a thin coat of grease before reassembly should get you back where you want to be. This is also probably a good opportunity to swap the pivot shafts around since the bb pivot sees the most wear and you can extend the overall service life of the set through rotation.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
I agree that a tear down grease job is always a good idea.
I just wore out a rear axle pivot bushing (drive side) that was only a few months old. Been doing a lot of wet riding and it really took it's toll on rear hub bearings and rear brake pads also.

Basically, I found play in the rear and it was so dry that the shaft was a ***** to get out.

I would also recommend doing the lube job with the shock detached so you can cycle the pivots to help spread the grease around.

I've gone for years with out any wear and pretty slack maintenance and it finally caught up with me. Would have been worse if I wasn't as thorough with the full tear down lube. It's also nice to have the pivots open and watch the grease being injected. It's good for the technique and purging the zerks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.