Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so the other day I got a bike that my neighbor decided he was going to through away because it was a bit worn and had been sitting in his garage for 3 years. It was a Trek Antelope 800. It's a nice bike, its just bit worn but still rides fine.

Now I have a problem with the upshifting on the front gears. When I try to shift the front derailler from the smallest gear on the front sprockets, to the second largest gear, it won't work. What happens is, it will go onto the second sprocket but then when I let go of the shift button, the chain goes back to the smallest gear again. Do you guys know what might be the problem?

The back gears shift fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well like the button pushes in just fine, and pushes the chain onto the next sprocket just fine, but when Iet off the button, the chain goes back to the original sprocket it was on.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Spray the internals of the shifter with WD40 while working the shifter. Once it starts to work, apply some light lube to the shifter.

When new, the shifter had grease inside of it. Over time the grease hardens and causes the pawls and springs to stick.

I've fixed numerous shifters using the above method. Besides, it cheaper than buying a new shifter(s)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frdfandc said:
Spray the internals of the shifter with WD40 while working the shifter. Once it starts to work, apply some light lube to the shifter.

When new, the shifter had grease inside of it. Over time the grease hardens and causes the pawls and springs to stick.

I've fixed numerous shifters using the above method. Besides, it cheaper than buying a new shifter(s)
Wait apply the wd-40 to like the shift button/where the cable goes. Or wd-40 on the front detailer where the chain is?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I'm sure he means spraying it inside the shifter. There should be a large screw on the side of the shifter. Otherwise you might have to remove the cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So should I remove the bolt that holds on the cover for the shift button, then spray wd-40 all in the cables and materials that are under the cover?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I sprayed some wd-40 in the shifter, and it didn't work. The shifter is easy to push and springs right back. But once I push the shifter, it wont stay in place after i shift the gear, it just springs back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I bought a new shifter, would this possibly fix the problem, or would I need a whole new front derailler?

Also do you know where I could purchase a cheap shifter for this bike, since its pretty old?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You shouldn't need a new der. You may be able to find something cheap on ebay. It doesn't necessarily have to match the other shifter.

Some people find they don't really need different front gears. A cost-nothing solution would be to attach the cable to front der. so that it holds it on the middle ring. At least you could ride it until you get a shifter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will almost any of the thumb shifters that shimano makes work on my bike you think?

I would like to have front gears, I can ride temporarily without them, but I would like to fix this by summertime.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Unlike rear der's, the pull ratios for front der's are standard across manufacturers. Any front mtn shifter should work - shimano or sram. Some people even put a grip shifter on the front with a trigger shifter on the rear.

Don't know if the above is true for 10sp.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
With the WD40, it sometimes takes a little bit of time to get the shifter to work. I did one yesterday at work, took me 1/2 hr to get the front shifter to start working again.

When you do spray the WD40 into the shifter, remove the little screw that covers the access hole to replace the shifter. Just spray it in there till it starts to drip out. Then work the shifter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts