Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know that my 2003 Sid Race is not the apex of fork technology but its always worked pretty nicely until recently. All my air pressure settings are in the specified ranges, actually a bit higher than requested, except for the pure delite damper which I never put over 50 (stated range of 20 -60) but when I ride the fork it compresses to somewhere around 43 mm of travel with a nice thud and doesn't really serve any useful purpose. I am going to get the fork rebuilt but any ideas on what could be the problem? The two things that concern me are the way the fork just slams down and the fact I am only getting 43 mm of travel... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds to me like something "let go" in the dampening cartridge. My guess something is floating in there that shouldn't be floating. I have 2 SIDs and neither have ever done this. But I also services them twice a year.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Keep it!

XC_Miles said:
Is this probably something fixable or will I end up being better off replacing the fork? Sorry I keep adding more questions to this. Thanks.
I've got an 03 Sid Race also (used) last year and coming off Z1, Z2 X Flys & an 04 RLT 80, I didn't expect much but man I got to tell you even at 180lbs this is a great fork, I was worried about the flex of the pinner stantions but the flex is just part of the ride characteristic. This fork climbs way better than the Fox RLT and goes down hill almost as nice, I know cause I've been swapping the 2 forks back and forth on my HT, I have not had the problems you are talking about but my bro had it rebuilt once before I got it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike Nazi said:
I've got an 03 Sid Race also (used) last year and coming off Z1, Z2 X Flys & an 04 RLT 80, I didn't expect much but man I got to tell you even at 180lbs this is a great fork, I was worried about the flex of the pinner stantions but the flex is just part of the ride characteristic. This fork climbs way better than the Fox RLT and goes down hill almost as nice, I know cause I've been swapping the 2 forks back and forth on my HT, I have not had the problems you are talking about but my bro had it rebuilt once before I got it.
I'd rather not buy a new fork I have more pressing needs like parts for my new road bike. But, and this is a big but, I don't want to spend close to what a new fork costs to fix the Sid. I hate spending money but will if it is necessary. I appreciate your feedback, fwiw I have always liked my Sid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.