Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in a wreck the other day and it threw my rear shifting out of whack, im not sure if the problem was the shifter or the derailleur but I got it sorted out by using the barrel adjuster. Its shifting fine now but I do come across one problem from time to time which ive never experienced before the crash. Sometimes when shifting to a lower gear (small sprocket to bigger sprocket), as I push the shift lever it makes two clicks and shifts down two gears. I only push the lever once but I hear two clicks and the derailleur indeed skips a gear. Like I said before I'm not sure if the problem is the shifter or the derailleur. Any ideas why this is happening? Any solutions?

And FYI its a cheap shifter/derailleur combo, shimano altus shifters and acera rear derailleur, totally factory stock, maybe its just time I upgrade haha

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The derailleur hanger can also be damaged, which throws out shifting. This needs to be checked for straightness before you can accurately adjust the gears.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Pretty well all of the Shimano shifters will let you downshift 2 or 3 clicks with one push of the lever. The harder and further you push the lever the more clicks and gears you will shift. Some of the newer and more expensive shifters will let you upshift more than one gear gear with a single push.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
everything above...

but, if after a crash you have to use the barrels to get shifting correct I can 100% state you twisted/bend your hanger. get it straightened and then reset your barrels back..

dual shifting is normal as Stash5 said, but it sounds like your not pushing on it that hard,.. sounds to me like it's doing it auto and again, it's do to your hanger bent and you adjusting the cable's out and went too far to get it to line up the chain to the cassette. again, get the hanger properly straightened and reset cables/stop properly and you should be good if it's shifting fine through 90% of the gears now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts