Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2010 Specialized Safire expert WSD MTB and have problems with the rear shock...does anyone else have this problem...I just wondering if I should upgrade to another shock so that I don't have to worry about continuously putting in air. My bike is currently in the shop...I'll find out soon what happened.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
No, I have never had a problem with rear shocks, but that is probably because I don't have any. ;) But my front shock is at Marzocchi right now for a total refurbish, should be good as new for about $100, a lot cheaper than a new one. Since yours is newer it could even be covered under warranty. If there is a widespread design or manufacturing problem with that shock model, the shop will probably have gotten a bunch back, and hopefully will let you know, as you don't want to keep fixing the same thing when an upgrade would be better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stripes said:
What problem do you have? It sounds like it keeps losing air, which is possible with an easy rebuild if Specialized lets shops do that. Some bike manufacturers require you send the part back to them, but YMMV.

What kind of shock? Fox? X Fusion?
Safire-tuned AFR Brain rear shock with Trail Tune inertia valve and Brain Fade. The LBS said it was some problem with the negative air chamber, it kept pulling the shock down. They sent to Specialized for repair or replacement... will know sometime next week. The bike is less than a year old, would it still be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the bad news today, that I owe 150 bucks because my rear shock was not covered under warranty...I don't really understand, but they said there was an internal crack that caused the nitrogen or something to leak out causing it to not work right. I don't understand because they sent the shock in but they said that its something in between the brain and the shock. I also was charged 90 bucks for a 50 hour tune up? I had the bike a bit shy of one year, and I had a leg injury for 6 months so I probably at the most rode 10 hours on this bike. Also it was 30 bucks for a replacement part...I am quite confused at this point.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of fine print BS from Specialized, i.e., a 5 year warranty that goes to any extent not to apply in any given situation. Like this from their website:" : ICAUTION! Be sure to wipe the shock body clean after every ride to prevent wear and damage to the shock. Failure to follow this caution will void the warranty." In the '09 suspension manual I scanned (72 pages!), no other service beyond this cleaning was required by the owner until 50 hrs. I would call (preferably) or write Specialized directly about your situation, try to get to someone specializing in unhappy customers. Be sure to review the applicable manual first and assure them that you followed the directions to a T and say you do not understand why the wonderful 5 yr warranty does not apply. OTOH if your supersize nephew borrowed it and hucked it all over creation, just pay the bill and don't loan it to him anymore.

$90 doesn't sound crazy for a tune-up, though I hate those kind of terms that don't really say what they did. It should be itemized. Many shops provide free adjustments as "service after the sale". But it looks like Specialized may have followed the car dealers' example and specified service by an "authorized dealer" at specified intervals to keep the warranty in place.

I had a hairline crack develop on a Bianchi roadbike crankarm - it was out of warranty but they covered it anyway (the shop handled it for me with a little prodding). Took a while to get it, but I was like jeezum, I've had cheap cranks last for years without problems, I should not have to pay to replace a pricey crankarm a year or so down the road from normal use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
is it possible it suffered some kind of damage? unknown impact?Things happen that can go unnoticed.
i've had nothing but good experiences with spesh warranty in over 15 years dealing with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@mtbxplorer, thanks for the info...I guess I'm a bit disappointed.
@gomer hardtale, I rode the bike only about 10 hours and never crashed. I fell 3 X when I was almost at a standstill, but the bike fell on me... I have left leg partial paralysis, so I'm cool when I'm cranking, not so good when I'm going slow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
bubu, i'm feeling your pain today. Had a customer bring in his s-works stumpy, no brain action. called spesh, and got the same answer. :needs the 150 hour service, 90 bucks"
seems they have tightened up on the warranty end of the se afr shocks.
and yes, that does suck

·
Registered
420 Posts
The thing is, it isn't a warranty in the sense most here think. It is a performance guarantee. That is why they can charge for the mandatory service intervals.

No matter your ride time, if you don't service it every year the guarantee is lost.

Should have just had them do the s-tune on it with the service. Would have been cheaper and you would have gotten a better riding shock back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.