Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got my new wheelset in, 719's laced to Shimano XT hubs. The rear went on with no issues, but the front is giving me some issues. The front disc is too far over and is rubbing on the mount\caliper. I tried removing the caliper and pushing it as far to the side as it would go, but there's not really much room for adjustment there. The disc cleared the mount fine on the previous wheelset. (Specialized Stout\117) I should also mention that it's just barely too far over....it pretty much clears when the QR isn't tightened.

I'm not exactly a master bike mechanic, but from what I gather it looks like the hub is just barely off center on the axle. I'm assuming that I can recenter the hub on the axle by adjusting the cones slightly. Is this a very difficult process? It looks pretty straight forward.....

Oh, the fork is a Tora with BB5 brakes if it matters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think that adjusting the cones will move the hub in relation to how it mounts in the forks.
When you mount the wheel in the forks the inside of the fork presses up against the locking nut that locks the cone adjuster, so if you move the axle across and adjust the cones the cones will still be in the same place in relation to the hub.

·
Plays with tools
4,652 Posts
putting more axle out on the disc side of the hub should solve your issue but make sure it isn't to much or QR will not bite down properly. i had the same issue on a american classic hub with a fox fork and i had to put a washer on the axle stub to get the clearance i needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a chance to look at it a bit more tonight. Putting a washer on solved the issue, but I also noticed that the IS tabs had a heavy coat of paint on them. Took a large fine flat file to it an knocked it down to bare metal.......remounted everything and it's good to go without the washer now.

Thanks for the advice everyone :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.