Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just received my first carbon framed bike, a Scott spark 30 2008. I can see something strange on the frame, which looks to me like a problem, as it could potentially be a weak spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157605969235706/

I know nothing about carbon frames so I am not sure about it. If you take a look at the pics in the link (you can download a high res version), you will see the strange marks, which seem to be beneath the surface.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

D

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
Just as a "CYA" measure, take it back to the bike shop for the pros to look over (be nice about it though :) ). It's probably nothing but as long as they know about it and confirm that it is nothing, you should be ok if a problem pops up. Carbon is a material with very specific considerations as it applies to specs............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to do that, but I live in Paris and bought the bike on the interenet, as they are a lot cheaper in the uk. That is why I posted it here first, as wanted to check before I call them. I guess I could email them the pictures and ask what they think.

Thanks,

D

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
Well with that said..........from the pic (to me) it looks like the front derailleur was put on a little high and tight. The torque specs for carbon are very specific and if not followed bad things can happen. I am no expert but I do know weak spots in carbon tubing can be problematic and scoring the tubes as a result of too much pressure by an added component can cause problems. In your case hope I am wrong about this though..............good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but there is no suface damage at all, it is all very polished and smoothe. The deep black is subsurface. It looks like there is a lot of resin with no carbon. I hope that makes sense.

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
Take a look at any frame made with unidirectional carbon. It's not like woven carbon where everything falls into neat lines that are mechanical and rigid. Uni is much more organic and natural looking. I once saw a Madone 5.2 that looked like it had Abe Lincoln in it. I would say that crazy looking pattern on your seattube is a beautiful anomaly that you should be proud of. It's like a free tattoo for your bike!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
dpinparis said:
Thanks, but there is no suface damage at all, it is all very polished and smoothe. The deep black is subsurface. It looks like there is a lot of resin with no carbon. I hope that makes sense.
This area has been reinforced under the gloss coat for the clamping forces of the front DER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.