Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately on my bike i have been running front brakeless. i thought i would give it a try, and i have come to the conclussion that my mehcanical in the rear doesnt give a enough stopping power.

when i mount my caliper to the fork, i do not get any problems with that. but when i mount my front wheel to the fork the disc brake bolts rubb against the inner side of the lower.
now where it gets tricky is i have a AtomLab GI Front Hub 20mm. it has 2 cones on the side that are interchangeable from side to side.the 2 cones are of different lengths. when i have the cones in the normall position there inst enough clearance for the disbrake/screws. but the wheel is centered in the fork.

when i changed the cones around, there is more than enough room for the discbrake/screws, but the wheel is totally off centered. has anyone else ever encountered this problem with any fork/wheel combo? im really confused on where to go with this. i would get a picture of it but my camera is no longer here. if drawing a picture will help i will do so

·
In exile
542 Posts
Are you using the 3mm or whatever spacers with your fork? They may even be 5mm, I never measured them, but I though all 20mm forks like that (excluding shiver and perhaps 888s and 66s). I was pretty sure the DJs and the Z1s used them.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
loco-****** said:
Are you using the 3mm or whatever spacers with your fork? They may even be 5mm, I never measured them, but I though all 20mm forks like that (excluding shiver and perhaps 888s and 66s). I was pretty sure the DJs and the Z1s used them.
Yup ypu need thoes really thick washers for the front disk bolts to space the caliper out far enough to work properly , they should be in the clear plastic bag with your owners manuel and big red M sticker , most people end up looseing these as soon as they open the fork up :nono: :thumbsup:

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evil4bc said:
Yup ypu need thoes really thick washers for the front disk bolts to space the caliper out far enough to work properly , they should be in the clear plastic bag with your owners manuel and big red M sticker , most people end up looseing these as soon as they open the fork up :nono: :thumbsup:
i still have these washers thankfully, and il actually go give it a try right ow, but hows is spacign the caliper over father enough gonna give clearance for my discrbrake/screws to stop hitting my lowers on the fork?

·
In exile
542 Posts
austinb89 said:
i still have these washers thankfully, and il actually go give it a try right ow, but hows is spacign the caliper over father enough gonna give clearance for my discrbrake/screws to stop hitting my lowers on the fork?
I can't say that it will, but you won't get your brakes to work without those. If nothing else, it is going to take up a few MMs of space of the bolts.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loco-****** said:
I can't say that it will, but you won't get your brakes to work without those. If nothing else, it is going to take up a few MMs of space of the bolts.
yeah i know what your saying, but my MAIN problem is that when i switch the cones around to give space for the disc/screws it puts the wheel so far over to the other side the tire rubs against the other lower.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
austinb89 said:
yeah i know what your saying, but my MAIN problem is that when i switch the cones around to give space for the disc/screws it puts the wheel so far over to the other side the tire rubs against the other lower.
your wheel was built with an improper dish if this is the case....
use a spoke wrench and loosen all the spokes on the rubbibg side a turn and a half, then tighten all the spokes on the other side by a turn and a half. this will move your wheel over into the correct position....

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
your wheel was built with an improper dish if this is the case....
use a spoke wrench and loosen all the spokes on the rubbibg side a turn and a half, then tighten all the spokes on the other side by a turn and a half. this will move your wheel over into the correct position....
thats what i was thinking at first, but i was hoping that wasnt the deal here. basically what im doign though is takign this front wheel front my stinky with the 888 and swappign back and forth when i need whichever bike. on the 888 though the wheel fits perfectly, is centered, no rubbage etc. btu when i bring it to the dj2 its messed up. is it possible to be dished wrong on one fork and not another?

no pics yet sorry

G

·
XSL_WiLL said:
Are you using allen bolts or the round headed torx bolts? Regular allen bolts won't clear. The torx bolts are very shallow.
I have never seen allen rotor bolts?...Torx kinda sucks...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Depends on the fork. Sometimes there's plenty of room for the allen head bolts, even if you use water bottle cage bolts for your rotors. Sometimes the torx bolts barely even fit. Torx bolts are great, never had one strip out.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
well i was finally able to get a camera to take some pics of this odd problem. for clarifaction they are torx screws holding down the disc, not allen bolts.

the first 3 pictures are with the cones in one configuration. in these pictures the tire is centered, but not enough clearance ot get a discbrake/screws on wihtout it rubbing aginst the fork

these pics show the left and right side of the hub

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
these next pcitures are with the cones from the hub swapped to the other side. in these the wheel is off centered, and the tire rubbs agianst the right lower

the last picture shows the discbrake flange(sorry about bluryness i dont know how to do macro setting) but in this picture it has alot more room

Attachments

·
In exile
542 Posts
The long spacer is to offset the non-disc side. I think you need to just use it the way you have in the first pics and space the caliper with the washers. If you can take pics of the caliper with the bolts hitting, we can maybe help. I don't think those hub cones are swapable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.