Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
frame: GT
Shifter: Shimano Demore
On my bike I am having problems with the front derailleurs. The back one shifts perfectly and barely clicks when doing so, but the front one is very slow, has problems shifiting from the smallest gear to the middle gear, and no mater how hard I try it wont even shift from the middle gear to the largest gear. I have been working on this bike forever, it was my fathers and is still in superb condition. Everything works except for this one derailleurs.... I spent a while online searching the Shimano website for my deralliures and have found that they are so old that they have been discontinued and removed from the website, I did however manage to find the closest derailleurs that there are. you can find them here:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/deore.html

If you guys could give me some tips about what might be causing this, not like I don't already know, but second opinions are good right? Also how should I go about fixing this? My father worked in a bike shop for 3 years as a teen and avidly mountain bikes, but we both cannot figure this one out!!!

Thanks for the help,

-Sanford

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
412 Posts
Just to go over the obvious, did you make sure all the cable slack has been taken out when the shifter is fully released? With the chain on the smallest chain ring, there shouldn't be any (or much) slack in the cable. Also check the H limit screw to make sure it's not stopping the travel of the derailer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marsh rider said:
Just to go over the obvious, did you make sure all the cable slack has been taken out when the shifter is fully released? With the chain on the smallest chain ring, there shouldn't be any (or much) slack in the cable. Also check the H limit screw to make sure it's not stopping the travel of the derailer.
Hey thanks for the help I checked the tension in the shifter and it was much too lose, thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marsh rider said:
Hey thanks for the help I checked the tension in the shifter and it was much too lose, thanks for the help again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts