Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1izalluneed
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chris King rear hub seems to have a lot of drag on it. When I am coasting downhill it loads the freehub bady and causes the chain to go slack and fall on or past my chain stay. Is this a common problem w/CK hubs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
gregorio said:
My Chris King rear hub seems to have a lot of drag on it. When I am coasting downhill it loads the freehub bady and causes the chain to go slack and fall on or past my chain stay. Is this a common problem w/CK hubs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You didn't say how long you have had the hubs, but sounds as though you need to re-adjust the pre-load. If it has been more than a season, you also should clean and relube. This is something that is easily done. If you need too, check out www.chrisking.com for a tutorial on how this is done.

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
The short answer is no that is not right. Even with the ringdrive mech there should not be that much drag.

The long answer starts off something like ... age, service history inquiry, riding conditions, bla bla bla.

My advice, first check preload like the other guy said, if that doesn't cure it then do a fifteen minute hub flush 'n clean of the bearings (take axle out, flush out bearings and ring-drive with wd40, wipe out excess, lube ring-drive and bearings SPARINGLY, reassemble). If neither cures it then get the hub serviced.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the same problem with my king. It was far worse when new. It is about a year old now, but still exhibits drag. I have flushed and relubed the dang thing probabley seven times. I use the king ring drive lube everywhere, but thin it up with triflow in the bearings. I have tried everything to no avail. Having the hub serviced seems a bad idea to me, cause it will put new, unworn bearings in there, and make it feel like it did when new. Anyone have any answers? And yes, this bike gets ridden alot. But the drag is a drag!!!!!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
My King ISO Disc hub is about 8 months old and I was still experiencing some drag....not enough to move the chain, but not the free-spinning goodness I would expect from a high $$ hub. So today I decided to tear it apart and do the full service on it using the King Hub Service Tool. When I got it torn apart I was shocked at the dark gray sludge that covered everything inside. The bearings that I could get to by simply removing the axle looked good but everything inside was gooey. It almost looked like they used heavy duty grease at the factory and weren't shy about putting it on.

My story doesn't have a happy ending though because in the process of putting my newly cleaned and lightly greased parts all back together I ruined my non-drive side bearing. It was totally my fault but now I am in limbo until King ships a new one to my local shop.

If you have significant drag after a normal break in period, take that thing apart and clean it out because you probably have sludge.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Check this....

When I got a new set of Kings and put on my cassette, I was experiencing the same thing when coasting. Chain would slacken up ......however what I found to be the problem was a slight amount of binding between the cassette and the hub. There was a very thin washer that came with my Sram acssette, I did not know what to do with it and wondered if it was a shipping part. Anyways, decided to slip it on before I put on the cassette, tightened the lockring and voila!!!!!No more problems.

Chek to see if this is the problem.

·
Registered
563 Posts
toad said:
Uh, ya I've read it, . . . many times. Not really any solutions in there I haven't tried. Now, maybe some more dishonest advice will help. ;)
if you really have done everything that the manual says, just send your hubs to king for a warranty repair. the warranty is there to be used some times. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
464 Posts
When I got a new set of Kings and put on my cassette, I was experiencing the same thing when coasting. Chain would slacken up ......however what I found to be the problem was a slight amount of binding between the cassette and the hub. There was a very thin washer that came with my Sram acssette, I did not know what to do with it and wondered if it was a shipping part. Anyways, decided to slip it on before I put on the cassette, tightened the lockring and voila!!!!!No more problems.
Ya, Ive got a shimano cassette, but I will check it out, thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
williamf777 said:
Stop hosing your bike off.
What and just leave all the s*** on the bike after every ride? That will work well. Perhaps gentle dabbing with a baby soft sponge might be the way to go?

King hubs should be able to withstand a fair bit of hosing as long as you don't regularly hit them with a pressure washer.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
What and just leave all the s*** on the bike after every ride? That will work well. Perhaps gentle dabbing with a baby soft sponge might be the way to go?

King hubs should be able to withstand a fair bit of hosing as long as you don't regularly hit them with a pressure washer.
even the hose gets water in places it need not be.

·
Registered
215 Posts
dansjustchillin said:
even the hose gets water in places it need not be.
As opposed to a two and a half hour ride through silty, sludgy, wet, gloppy organic mud? I think my bike can take a two minute hit of a gently applied and well directed water hose.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ha Ha Ha More bike Hosers. You still dont learn after roaching out your parts. Sure the Pro Mechanics wash the bikes. But soon after that they wipe the entire bike off with rags and towels.

At least 2 times a day people come into my shop and ask why their hub or BB is messed up then they lie to me about hosing their bikes off.

Dont be a Hoser!!!!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
williamf777 said:
Ha Ha Ha More bike Hosers. You still dont learn after roaching out your parts. Sure the Pro Mechanics wash the bikes. But soon after that they wipe the entire bike off with rags and towels.

At least 2 times a day people come into my shop and ask why their hub or BB is messed up then they lie to me about hosing their bikes off.

Dont be a Hoser!!!!!!!
Who's saying that I don't have enough sense to dry my bike off with a towel and relube my drivetrain before storing it? I also know not to apply direct pressure towards any seals or bearings. I've been riding and caring for my bikes since '86 and they've always been in immaculate condition. I'm sure that I'm pretty qualified to use such a high-tech piece of equipment like a garden hose.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
ChipAllen said:
Who's saying that I don't have enough sense to dry my bike off with a towel and relube my drivetrain before storing it? I also know not to apply direct pressure towards any seals or bearings. I've been riding and caring for my bikes since '86 and they've always been in immaculate condition. I'm sure that I'm pretty qualified to use such a high-tech piece of equipment like a garden hose.
wow a hoser since 86. impresive. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.