Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got a shiny new 66RC2X in the mail today. Looks great but looking at it the stanchions looked kinda short for a 170mm. I ordered the 170mm and everything says it's a 170 but the exposed part of the stanchions is ~171mm long. If everything is okay and it is in fact the 170 it does look like the arch and crown and such would clear at full compression but coming from manitou I'm used to at least an inch of stanchion still showing at full stuff. So guys (and girls) do I maybe have a mislabled 150mm. Are they maybe both the same length. Thanks In Advance Evan :confused:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I have an '04 Z150SL...full travel goes to within 1/8th of inch of the crown/stanchion interface. I also have an '05 Flick Plus...full travel still shows an inch of exposed stanchion. It was the same with an '03 Firefly. Marzocchi seems to take their full travel right up to the bottom of the crown on most of their single crown forks. Manitou doesn't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm

I just read in another thread that a spacer swap switches them between the two travel options (or settings). If this is true then I am not as worried. Anyone have some details on this?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
stp2 said:
I just read in another thread that a spacer swap switches them between the two travel options (or settings). If this is true then I am not as worried. Anyone have some details on this?
...the 05's had the travel swap option between the 150mm & 170mm. The 06's apparently do not. I have an 06 66SL that bottoms leaving 1-2mm of stanchion. Also, try extending the fork some (pulling it up out of the lowers), when they are new the bushing stiction often prevents the fork from fully extending on it's own. When it is broken in, you will no longer have this issue.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
~NWS~ said:
isnt the extra inch on manitou forks so that the reversed arch wont smack into the crown?
Yeah, but ultimately they did it just so their forks looks like they have more travel. Mostly just a marketing type scam. Seems like they came up with the goal of showing more stanchion, and then figured out stupid ways to make it work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.