Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building up my SC Blur XC and hung it vertically (front wheel up). I have Magura Marta brakes and have read that this might be a problem with an open system hydraulic brakeset. Other stuff I've read said it shouldn't be a problem if there is no air in the lines (as there shouldn't be). Anybody have any experience with this - good or bad? Also, does hanging the bike vertically have any negative impact on the fork - leaking oil or anything else? Please respond if you have experience or knowledge of this. Conjecture won't help me get unconfused about whether it's a problem or not.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I hung my Wife's magura equipped bike vertically for close to a year.

I did need to rebleed it once or twice; not sure if it was related or just the result of air in the lines from the initial bleed.

We hang it horizontally now and there haven't been any issues at all.

Sorry, that probably didn't help :)

Dave

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
No air no problem

If you are sure there is no air in the lines then you won't have a problem. With some forks it actually recomended to hang them upside down some times.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I always wonder about that.

Johnny Hair Boy said:
If you are sure there is no air in the lines then you won't have a problem. With some forks it actually recomended to hang them upside down some times.
It has the rubber gasket which I assume expands to compensate for wear. As the pads wear I wonder if air doesn't sometimes get into the lines from the resivour?

I don't know. I do know that my old school shimano XT brakes haven't needed messing with in close to 2 years other than replacing pads and tweaking the occasional rotor.

Dave

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
It has the rubber gasket which I assume expands to compensate for wear. As the pads wear I wonder if air doesn't sometimes get into the lines from the resivour?

I don't know. I do know that my old school shimano XT brakes haven't needed messing with in close to 2 years other than replacing pads and tweaking the occasional rotor.

Dave
You should not have a problem.

If there was some air between the membrane at the master cylinder and the oil... yes. Air will find its way to the lines.

If not, the membrane will mantain the air out and the oil in.... in any position.

Just to make sure, before hanging your bike put a rubber band or a zip tie pressing the levers (to the bottom but gently) so the main piston goes past the overflow and filling ports of the master cylinder... this way air will not be able to pass in. This is for any open system brake, not only Maguras. An advantage of this is that this will reset your pads ensuring drag free performance.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Just to make sure, before hanging your bike put a rubber band or a zip tie pressing the levers (to the bottom but gently) so the main piston goes past the overflow and filling ports of the master cylinder... this way air will not be able to pass in. This is for any open system brake, not only Maguras. An advantage of this is that this will reset your pads ensuring drag free performance.
That is also a great trick on Moto's if they dont bleed up very well or just loose pressure. Tie the lever down over night & walla you gots solid brakes :cool:!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nice trick!

Warp2003 said:
You should not have a problem.

If there was some air between the membrane at the master cylinder and the oil... yes. Air will find its way to the lines.

If not, the membrane will mantain the air out and the oil in.... in any position.

I haven't had any issues in the last year or so after I rebleed, but it was also at the same time that I stopped hanging it vertically. If I have to change how I hang it I'll try that.

Thanks,
Dave

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
I haven't had any issues in the last year or so after I rebleed, but it was also at the same time that I stopped hanging it vertically. If I have to change how I hang it I'll try that.

Thanks,
Dave
Just don't put those very tight... or you'll putting to test your caliper seals. Not a good idea if done over and over for such long periods of time.

Just tight enough for the lever to go to the bottom but no more. Now that I think of it, maybe a piece of velcro should do fine and can be used day after day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts