Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've got a new 66ata and new set of I9 wheels. When putting it all together tonight, installed hope 2 piece rotors and snugged up the axle nice and tight, those round circle washers/spacer things that hold the metal rotor to the aluminum carrier rub on the bottom brake post. I've tried 2 different rotors with the same result, vented motos and the non vented hope from a M4/ mini brakeset. Should I get the file out and start taking material off the bottom post? They rub irregardless if the caliper is mounted. :confused:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,605 Posts
bikesinmud said:
So I've got a new 66ata and new set of I9 wheels. When putting it all together tonight, installed hope 2 piece rotors and snugged up the axle nice and tight, those round circle washers/spacer things that hold the metal rotor to the aluminum carrier rub on the bottom brake post. I've tried 3 different rotors with the same result, vented motos and the non vented hope from a M4/ mini brakeset and a XT. Should I get the file out and start taking material off the bottom post? They rub irregardless if the caliper is mounted. :confused:
Most likely it's a problem with the I9 wheel specs that the 66 may exaggerate. I run hope M4s on the old 66 on a different hub, and of course there are no spacing issues. To put it simply, based on your info you are kinda screwed. Sometimes those small-volume botique manufacturers do things "their own way" and that is that, it is kind of like the chris king aluminum-cassette body problem. Using cassettes without races (and even some with races but not on all the gears) tends to eat into the splines on the cassette body. This is a known problem but CK just does it this way. Shimano on the other hand either makes them out of steel, or titanium for the high end XTR stuff. Shimano mass-produces these things on a much larger scale, and they don't want people comming back every few days for warrenties, so while the CK material may not be optimal, that's the way they do it and that is that (you can buy a much heavier and more expensive steel carrier from CK, but they don't make one out of Ti like shimano).

Can you make it fit and not compramise the integrity? If so then do that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I edited my original post because I was trusting someone elses work for the XT rotor. A 1 piece rotor works fine, XT and Marta but the tolerance between the 1 Piece rotor and the brake post is about 2mm. I don't think its a fork problem since I put this wheelset on a Lyrik and a White Brothers fork. Same thing, the 2 piece rubs, worse on the WB. So...bye bye 2 piece rotors move over for the 1 piece. Is it the hubs??? I sure hope not, I've got 3 set of I9's and 3 sets of hope brakes. I've got a set of Hope Moto's with the really thick vented rotor going on another set of I9's bolted to a 888 really soon, they don't fit on the 66 but they sure as heck better fit the 888. I hope (pun intentional) there is more room on the 888. These pics were taken before I snugged up the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a 66 RC3, I9 wheels and xmax XL wheels plus Avid Juicy caliper with Avid 8" rotors, everything fits fine. My I9 wheels are 2007 so I don't know if they may have changed the design of their hub a bit this year. Hope you solve it, it's really sad to pay big $$$ for nice parts and be stuck with such a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.