Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Fear
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all i have to ask if am i allowed to write such a thread over here or not i mean i didnt really know maybe its illegal to write about personal businesses ......
But as some people may know me im living in Iran ..........& really have no intentions to / for advertising nor i can even if i even wanted to as i live in a totally different country that all the members here....

To illustrate the over all situation and issue i have is that i own a little work shop & online bike parts site bit in the last couple of years due to the shitty economic situations we have had here in Iran also worsened by the Covid pandemic.......

My main problem is not low sales ot financial or something ....i mean if not suffering from lack of income or costumers or some thing like these at all.......
Its like that previously the type the realm & the feild and over all things i did was completetly different from the things i do now and well from 2008 till now from the time i had started by business i have ran the bussiness in a totally different way because of the different situation .......previously the main revenues if my work were selling complete bikes + selling components & parts + Hydraulic services ( only forks shocks & brakes ) i never did or accepted minor rapair works as the ratio between the time i put on it to the amount of income it made me was not interesting .......

But as these couple of years passed the situation & work environment changed a lot...and i had two options

.........selling complete bikes was not a good option any more also not to mention i nearly lost 30 to 40 % of my whole Capital to inflation in the work..................how ...............simple .....sold bikes and goods..........then all of a sudden the main dealers stopped selling us........and started hoarding............what was the result for me............i had my money in hand...........* basically i bought as i sold gradually..............but it was the last days of our local calendar in 2019....and evey year in those days of the year i sell a lot and often the main dealers and importers are closed and i sum ip all by buy to the first days of the new year.............but this time i had a lit of cash in hand ........than the started hoarding .....and are doing so to this day...........not completely but they dont sell anything we want nor in the quantities we want.........but instead any thing they want in any quantity they desire ....

And it was a very scary and uncertain economic situation over here ....i could go buy gold or foregn currencies like USD / EUR or like these to fund myself againt the inflation but actually no one new it the whole country is bearish or bullish ..........i mean our local currency so it had a high risk i decided not to invest and ....actually it was a a very bad decision.......

Never mind dont want to talk about that part as it is not my problem.......loosing a lot of your capital is a normal thing here and im really not greedy over that...............its a kind of Tac the regime takes from the people and only thise who can predict the situation can use it as a leverage and can escape from........i wasnt one of those in the last two time we had hyperinflations once in 2011 to 2012 and once from 2018 till 2020...........

Never mind so what i did ........in my own business was that waiting to see what bikes the dealers would like to give me and in low quantities was not a god idea to carry on.........so i tought why not do the things i didnt previously ...i mean adding minor repair works to my schedule as well .......
Not to mention preparing & suppling the fluids & consuming goods for the hydraulic services was and is a dilemma for its self but i over came that with the help of friends who lived abroad & sent me the things i need......
You know previously i didnt rely on the local dealers that much i went to SW asia my self and imported anything i need for myself.......

But its not affordable for us anymore due to the economic situations over here but i still do import the goods with out going there myself.......
* sometimes i thing to my self why the heck have a stayed in this F***ing county all these years and the answer is because i was building my own business here bit by bit inch by inch and now that i have made a lot.....a lot of loyal costumers over here...........and besides by costumers ..........i have evolved the job in the situation over here if i go to anywhere else...........i have to start from scratch...........
Back in 2009 when i first went to KL in malaysia i could do so.......and i was a whole lot younger and even didnt have the amount of heritage and loyal costumers over here .....and it was way more easier to peel myself from home.......but the economy over here was way too god at those years................and it didnt even cross anybodies mind................that we are going to get F***ed up in the next decade.............

But here is the part which i come to my main problem it this situation............in the past years i knw that the demand for doing repair works i mean minor ones is high for me.....as im the only one in this country who does the job in the right & with the right and standard tools & knowledge.........or maybe i cant call my self like that and say good things about my self but at least i can say i try to do so......
And how do people know thi as im writing technical articles for over a decade and a half now in my personal website in a way and un such a detail no other person does.........* mention that in the past few yaers i hacnt had time to write like before but the mount of articles i produced in all those years was

and also they are copied all over the internet in the Iranian bike society but as i have my unique type of writing........even when people remove water marks of even the whole pictures i use they cant hide the signature i make in the writing style its self...........

And managing the work i do now with this changed situation needs a whole different king of management that i do not have enough experience in ........i mean managing a work that is based on selling versus one that is based on repair works each have a different type of system in work flow.........

i need to hear some experience from other people who have done this job for more years of their lives .......

My main problem is that im so much overstakked by work....i berly have any time left for my self at all.........and some days the frustration gets totally ubearable.........

in the other hand i work alone............and no i dont want to expand the business by hiring a some one to work for me for two main reasons..

1 : No one does the jon in the way i want ( thaey way and which the amount of precision my costumers only expect from me )

2 : Training a personel to have the amount of precision & technical skills i want is expensive.........both cost me a lot of time.........money and effort........and you know what happens after you have trained the person very well ? the job i do is very very very rare & the people who do it are less than the number of your fingers......
Its too obvious that what happens after you have trained a personel well after some years........

I have had some co workers that had that experience in a very bad bad way............and i have just looked over them & dont want to repeat other people s mistakes.........
As i have had 4 different people working for me during all these years and for all of them as they started to learn things.........and advance...........to a keen eye it could be seen from the very begiing that what direction they were headed...........so i just told them i didnt need them any more when i just saw whats going to happen ....

So have in mind i really want to work alone......and hiring & training staff is not my option nor i want to expand my business.......no i dont want to expand or grow in in the matter of quantity & size......

I only need to have better quality in managing the demand....... i mean lowering the amount of work i do as it is really really more that i can handle...... without decreasing the amount of income....if increased whos not happy with more money....
but bare in mind the standards i have and must do in my work in all the aspects from goight to but the right type of an O-ring with the right type of compound or a specific brand of grease.... to just doing the job its self .......i do not want nor will lower these standards.....

In the past years i had a lot of costumers whom i had a lot of problems with & inthe principle of the 20 / 80 they were the 20% which gave all my headaches..........to me ............didnt pay well .....harassed me in anyway they could

Thank god..................thank god i managed to wipe all of them out..............it was a long and painful process as they all had clinged on me like parasites............ for years & years and getting rid of them was not easy.............at all........

From around spring 2020 i announced that i cannot accept anymore new costumers as the amount of work old costumers bought me was way more than the amount i could handle.........
and also the old ones did not require any type of explanation on the job as they were familiar with me and my work..........

But for the new ones well after all i need to put more time and effort on them in order to build trust.......as i did in all the past years........and even i had to lower my expectaions at first and not demand the right amount of payment for them on order to know me and get familiar with me and know the differences of the work i do with the fork other people did ...............

But in the past couple of years the need to do so totally vanished becuase i had built up trust in so many people on the past one and a half decade..............so i realized why do i have to do so for more people when at the first place you cant handle the work load...?

So........iv talked a lot & a lot and alot...........i do apologize for this long post you know i wanted to write it for some years now..............and today when i sat behind the keyboard................the words just bursted.............beg my pardon if i had talked too much ...............maybe a large percentage of this writing was screeding..........of so..............again i do apologize........
So basically i m just looking forward for experiences and ideas..........on maximising the income out of this situation and also decreasing the amount of work.......indeed........

And another thing that is out of the direction of this tread is that i have a lot of articles and have a lot of potential to make more or even videos instead of writing articles and thats a somethimes i look to that field instead of doing physical work...as a lot of people just ask me if you could tech techinical stuff to them and when my answer is negative and i tell them i r eally dont have the time do to so they assume that they are willing to pay...and i started realizing that could be a whole alternative to doing the job your self.........but them as im totally submerged in my workload.........i doint see any intrest in chainging the field to do some thing different

Thanx a lot................and a lot more to all MTBR members.....whom i had relied on in hard situations and have always kindly supported me and provided me with info & heartwarming messages...............

Cheers from Iran......

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,219 Posts
Managing is like being the crew leader that is building a trail. You have a picture in your head of what the trail should look like, but everyone is going to do it a little differently, so you have to compromise on your vision for something that is acceptable and makes progress. If you tried to get them to do it exactly how you wanted, you won't ever get the trail done. The trick is getting it done as close to the original plan as possible, but it's not going to be perfect and you have to allow for this. My point is that in managing people, you need to have patience and not micro-manage too much. You want people that get the job done and do the right thing, but you seem to be a little worried about them doing it exactly right or exactly how you want. They are going to mess up some and part of that is due to how well you train and encourage them.

Reactions: Iranian-Mechanic
1 - 3 of 3 Posts