Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge and got a Pugsly for winter riding here in upstate NY. I am having a problem however getting the front wheel built. I got the rear one built and dished fine. But the front one is giving me fits. I am using Surly singlespeed rear hub. The spoke lengths that I am using are 258 for the drive side and the 262 for the non-drive side. I have built the wheel twice now trying to get it dished correctly. I get the left side tensioned too much and the right side not enough. But even at that I still need to pull the rim more to the left to get it centered. Any suggestions?

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
I come up with different spoke lengths

Haystack Calhoun said:
I am having a problem however getting the front wheel built. I am using Surly singlespeed rear hub. The spoke lengths that I am using are 258 for the drive side and the 262 for the non-drive side.
Which surly hub? New disc? i.e., 34 left and 38.5 flange to centers with a flange hole diameter of 58?

I come up with 260 drive side 256 non drive for spoke lengths. If you just swap what side you are putting your spokes on it should work. What spoke calculator are you using? Mine showed the spokes on the wrong side too for the front wheel, I think it takes the spoke offset to be in the wrong direction or something. I had to carefully draw out my wheel geometry and convince myself that the same effect was achieved by offsetting the flanges in the calculator, which it is. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DirtDad said:
Which surly hub? New disc? i.e., 34 left and 38.5 flange to centers with a flange hole diameter of 58?

I come up with 260 drive side 256 non drive for spoke lengths. If you just swap what side you are putting your spokes on it should work. What spoke calculator are you using? Mine showed the spokes on the wrong side too for the front wheel, I think it takes the spoke offset to be in the wrong direction or something. I had to carefully draw out my wheel geometry and convince myself that the same effect was achieved by offsetting the flanges in the calculator, which it is. I hope that makes sense.
My LBS used the QBP web site. I believe its the new Surly hub. Maybe I will try swaping the spokes.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
I come up with the same numbers as DirtDad (256 left side, 260 right for 32 spokes, 3X). The shorter spokes do need to go on the disc side.

Do you have the offset of the rim in the right direction (towards the right side)?

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Using DirtDad's hub numbers and my own measurements of the rim, I get 259 for the left side and 261 for the right (drive) side for 32 spokes, 3X. The longer spokes should definitely go on the drive side and like Shiggy said, make sure the offset is toward the drive side as well. You're using the 35 mm adapter that comes with the frame, right?

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Using DirtDad's hub numbers and my own measurements of the rim, I get 259 for the left side and 261 for the right (drive) side for 32 spokes, 3X. The longer spokes should definitely go on the drive side and like Shiggy said, make sure the offset is toward the drive side as well. You're using the 35 mm adapter that comes with the frame, right?

Good luck.
Yes I am using the adapter.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
shiggy said:
Adaptor? He is using a 135 mm rear hub.
Shiggy, you're too quick. The adapter fits on the nondrive side of the hub and it allows the wheel to be trued to a 170 mm width which makes for a correct offset. I added some pictures.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good luck.
Well a picture is worth a thousand words. I was assuming my rims were offset. But they do not look like the rim in the picture. The spoke holes are on both sides of the rim like a standard rim. So how do I handle that?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Shiggy, you're too quick. The adapter fits on the nondrive side of the hub and it allows the wheel to be trued to a 170 mm width which makes for a correct offset. I added some pictures.
Nice. That would take out the guess work. I had not heard of this piece before.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Haystack Calhoun said:
Well a picture is worth a thousand words. I was assuming my rims were offset. But they do not look like the rim in the picture. The spoke holes are on both sides of the rim like a standard rim. So how do I handle that?
If you could measure how far the holes are from the centerline of the rim, I could try to run some numbers. The offset rims I used were drilled 6 mm to the same side of the midline and they were in line with each other (not staggered at all).

The offset rims create less wheel "dish." You should be able to use the rims you have. You will need shorter spokes on the left side, though, and the wheel will end up with quite a bit less tension on the right side versus the left.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
shiggy said:
Nice. That would take out the guess work. I had not heard of this piece before.
They're pretty slick. They come with the frames, or at least mine did.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Haystack Calhoun said:
You need to have a talk with your LBS. You received the wrong rims. The spoke lengths they gave you are close to what would be correct for the "regular" drilled rim (swapped right for left).

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
shiggy said:
You need to have a talk with your LBS. You received the wrong rims. The spoke lengths they gave you are close to what would be correct for the "regular" drilled rim (swapped right for left).
I agree that the offset rims will build better, more durable wheels. If you can get your LBS to exchange them, you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wrong large marge rims for a pugsley

shiggy said:
I've had my LBS working on a Pugsley for me. QBP sent them the non-offset rims too, it sounded to me like they were having trouble deciphering the website instructions. It was the first time they had to work with a Pugsley. Anybody out there working with their LBS on a Pugsley for the first time might want to give them a heads up.

3,617 Posts
use the offset

i had the EXACT same issue. Change the rims to the offset, and everything is sweet. Use the offset tool on the non drive side, dish the wheels, and they swap out front and rear nicely. Provided that you use the same rotor size front and rear. Oh ya. FYI the caliper adapter for the front is actually a rear adaptor. So if you happened to order brakesets, front and rear. you will need to get a rear adaptor to use on the pug fork.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Swap spokes anyway. Also, update from Surly...

Haystack Calhoun said:
Spoke lengths on the non offset rim comes out to 256 non drive side, 262 drive side. You said you were doing 262 non drive and 258 drive. It still sounds like swapping spokes from side to side will work.

Surley has cancelled the current version of the offset XC rims. They will be making some changes to them and rolling out (pun intended) a different version in the coming months but do not want to talk dates. So for now you can choose between offset DH style or non offset XC style. When I got all this info from Surly they strongly recommended using the DH offset rims for the Pugsley now and not waiting for the XC offset to come available again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts