Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new monocog (reg - non flight) and im deep into upgrades and what not....

the last part that i tried to upgrade is the rear cog to a surly 1/8 18T cog....

but for some reason the chain does not fit around the teeth on this new surly cog....

should I get a new chain? or replace the surly 1/8 cog with whatever size cog the chain already is????

and what size is teh chain size? i check on redlines website for specifics and couldnt find the answer...

thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what? yup//// its threaded...

i don't know what a track cog is but i will google it.... this is the cog___

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS409D01-Surly+Track+Cog.aspx

and yes it is a track cog.... dammit....

what chain is a chain whip tool? it fits perfectly on that thing.....

cant i just get the same chain thats on a chain whip? or am i retarded..

anyone wanna trade for a normal cog?

·
Registered
231 Posts
You have a 1/8th inch cog, and are probably using a normal 3/32 inch MTB chain. You could get a 1/8" chain (this will still work on 3/32 front chainrings), or just get a 3/32" cog (the link you provided has one). Many people believe that the smaller 3/32" chains are stronger than the 1/8" ones because of the extensive R&D that is performed.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
mountainflow said:
You have a 1/8th inch cog, and are probably using a normal 3/32 inch MTB chain. You could get a 1/8" chain (this will still work on 3/32 front chainrings), or just get a 3/32" cog (the link you provided has one). Many people believe that the smaller 3/32" chains are stronger than the 1/8" ones because of the extensive R&D that is performed.
Winner . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
nicolicious said:
i don't know what a track cog is but i will google it.... this is the cog___

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS409D01-Surly+Track+Cog.aspx

and yes it is a track cog.... dammit....

what chain is a chain whip tool? it fits perfectly on that thing.....

cant i just get the same chain thats on a chain whip? or am i retarded..

anyone wanna trade for a normal cog?
wait a second... have you mounted that cog on the bike already. I thought Monocogs had cassette hubs that take the splined cogs, not threaded cogs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.