Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a hub from prowheelbuilder that apparently can't even be made but they have a listing for it and charged me for the order anyway. I wanted a 15x135mm front hub with 36 holes. It has been almost a week and I've had no communication from them at all. I contacted the manufacturer directly, Onyx, to find out if an order for a 36 hole 15x135mm front hub had been ordered. They told me that they do not even make a hub with those specifications and that I would need to order a 15x150mm front hub if I needed a 36 hole rim. So PWB charged me more than $200 for this order and I am not sure I will even be able to get a refund, much less a full one. Listing a product in error, taking the order and charging me, and if I can 'cancel' the order, leveling a 'restocking' fee does not seem terribly fair. I am posting here because I have left numerous voice mails and have heard nothing back from them. I probably should have done my research before ordering from this site but they were the only ones who listed a 36 hole 15x135mm front hub at all, and I made the mistake of thinking their product listing was accurate. Woops. Live, learn, and hopefully not go broke in the process...

·
Registered
78 Posts
The cooties 19 is being used as an excuse for poor service everywhere you go. I’d give them a few days to respond but don’t sweat it, the credit card company should have your back. You did pay with a card, right?

·
Practice Gratitude
148 Posts
phoenixbikes ~

Thank you for the feedback on this website. Total bummer that they had items listed that don't exist in the real world. I bet you'll get a full refund whenever they come back. I'd talk to whatever institution you paid with after a few weeks of no contact and see if they can't do something for you. It would be bad form for that website to charge you a re-stock fee for something like that. Excellent job doing your research afterwards or you'd still be waiting for something that no one makes. It will allow you to find something else now. Keep us updated and good luck with your build. :)

Best regards,
Jason

·
EDR
10,049 Posts
Relax. Look it sucks they miss listed an item and sold it to you. It was an error no doubt. It wasn't malicious I'm sure. Nobody is going to charge you a restocking fee for something that doesn't even exist. Where would they even restock the non existing item to? Jeez.

Mistakes happen. Customer service in many parts of the world absolutely sucks right now. You'll get your money back it just won't happen yesterday.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Misuse of Karen meme. Say fifty Hail Pepe's and apologize, please.
Nah, that was a total Karen post.

This sounds like its still yet to be resolved, and I can almost guarantee that the OP will receive a full refund. Accidents happen, refunds get issued, life goes on. Just automatically assuming that wheelbuilder.com will outright rob the guy is pretty silly.

·
In Transit
861 Posts
It’s unclear whether the OP even contacted PWB prior the making this thread. FWIW, I’ve ordered two wheelsets from PWB and they have delivered a fabulous product with great customer service each time. This last time (last month) they updated my order via email to use a different hub color (recipe for potential disaster), and delivered exactly what I wanted. Everyone makes mistakes - give them a chance to fix it and then post about that if they blow it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Disagree that the OP is a Karen. A week to respond to a charged customers inquiry about an existing order? Maybe Covid causes businesses collective intelligence to go down the crapper? There is just no excuse for that. Write something in return. "Hey, got your email, it is crazy busy and we're swamped, but we're looking into it"... something. All radio silence shows is that you haven't got your **** together, regardless of Covid scapegoating.

And feeyuk, that term Karen is getting just stupid tired at this point.

·
Work gets in the way
746 Posts
A week is annoying, but if they don't answer email or calls after a few more days, call you cc company and file a complaint. They'll answer you then.

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts
What do you mean "doesn't exist"? 15x135 is for the new Rock Shox super boost inverted forks with the polygon torque cap dropouts

·
In Transit
861 Posts
Disagree that the OP is a Karen. A week to respond to a charged customers inquiry about an existing order? Maybe Covid causes businesses collective intelligence to go down the crapper? There is just no excuse for that. Write something in return. "Hey, got your email, it is crazy busy and we're swamped, but we're looking into it"... something. All radio silence shows is that you haven't got your **** together, regardless of Covid scapegoating.

And feeyuk, that term Karen is getting just stupid tired at this point.
RETRACTED ... didn’t see the part where he left voicemails. Maybe try email instead with all of the quarantine measures in place though?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm currently waiting on a set of wheels from them. Ordered 7-22, overdue by a couple weeks now. Two emails and a phone call have gone unanswered. I'm being patient, both with the order and their lack of communication. I'll update when I know what's happening.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Maybe some people are underestimating just how severe the parts shortage is, and how backed up the mail is on top of that.

Stuff is just *gone*. I waited almost 2 months for a cheap tektro bmx brake to be in stock. My wife had a cast iron pan sitting at the local usps warehouse for 2 weeks before they could toss it onto the truck.

I've never in my life seen this sort of shortage and delay in cycling. It's cool and all that everyone wants to ride a bike all of a sudden, but so many places are still at lowered capacity.

Even the historically great shops with top notch customer service are seriously lacking right now. I just hope we dont all beat them up so much that they're gone in the future. I'm cutting everyone some pretty serious slack right now. A normal part order just might be 2 months, for no reason and you might struggle to get an answer.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I ordered 2 rims and spokes/nipples from them a couple years ago. I find out they are 30min from me so I call and ask if I can go pick it up. They lady who answered the phone said I could. I've already paid for shipping and she was going to refund that to me.
I go pick it up, she's not there, the guy with the mustache answered the door, took a while to find my order.
When I asked about refunding the shipping, he said he can't but he'll give me extra nipples to make up the difference. I was more than happy to take him up on that offer. He also threw in a roll of tape.

I get home and count the nipples, its exactly the amount I ordered. :/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Right after my post I got a text from them. Coincidence? They were about to ship, so all good.
They never got my emails and were returning the call. Perhaps text is the best way to contact.
FWIW, the delay was insubstantial and perfectly understandable.
For the last 15 years I’ve built all my own wheels, but their price was lower than I could source the parts myself. Pretty good deal, I’d definitely use them again.

·
Class Clown
2,957 Posts
I have 2 wheelsets built by prowheelbulder. Seems to me OP is being overly dramatic, take a deep breath and have a bit of patience, Namaste.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, my wheels showed up yesterday. They seem well built. But today, I looked them over, getting ready for the build. Superboost hubs, i45 offset rims. Problem is, they built them with a downhill hub, symmetrical flanges. I thought, ok, maybe I can just live with them the way they are, but then I realized the NDS spokes are much higher tension than the drive side, due to the offset rim- no reason whatsoever to use an offset rim with a symmetrical flange hub. Huh? Seems like the builder would notice something like that, and wonder why. Text sent, we’ll see what happens. Maybe they didn’t realize Hope hubs come in two flavors of 157 spacing, DH and Superboost, but then, they’re the experts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, my wheels showed up yesterday. They seem well built. But today, I looked them over, getting ready for the build. Superboost hubs, i45 offset rims. Problem is, they built them with a downhill hub, symmetrical flanges. I thought, ok, maybe I can just live with them the way they are, but then I realized the NDS spokes are much higher tension than the drive side, due to the offset rim- no reason whatsoever to use an offset rim with a symmetrical flange hub. Huh? Seems like the builder would notice something like that, and wonder why. Text sent, we’ll see what happens. Maybe they didn’t realize Hope hubs come in two flavors of 157 spacing, DH and Superboost, but then, they’re the experts.
Correction, it's not their downhill hub, just standard Pro 4 with symetrical flanges, compared to Superboost with the wider NDS flange. Still, not what I ordered. Am I being too picky? I looked up shipping it back, jeez, $70 just to send a wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts