Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few years ago at the NORBA pits, I believe Sandpoint, Idaho. I was strolling and drooling. I noticed this cool custom lockout lever made out of a spoke. Has anyone else seen this or know of any pics out there?

The setup was essentially this:
The mechanic drilled little hole in the end of the lock out lever knob, like right where you would grab it w/ your finger. The hole was about the size of a spoke. He ran the spoke through the hole all the way to the flared end. Since the spoke has a little 90 degree bend right at the flared end, it is now pointing vertical towards the handlebar. He made a series of bends in the spoke, likely to take up slack, but also provide some kind of spring loaded mechanical leverage. The end result was that by the time the top of the spoke reached the handlebar, just inside of the brake lever, it passed through a little plastic clamp doodad, like something you might use to mount a speedometer magnet sensor or something. The screw hole in that doodad held it in place at the bar. The mechanic then turned the last bit of spoke protruding above the bar, maybe 1.5" at most, 90 degrees and finished off the threaded end w/ a nipple. The rider could very easily twist that little spoke lever at his bar and lock out his knob below w/o reaching down, nor going through the trouble of those cable actuated devices.

I believe it was in the Gary Fisher tent, and the setup was on Ryder Hesjedal and Liam Killeen's bikes. This was likely 2004 if I am remembering it right, just when they were experimenting w/ adding carbon rear stays to their hardtails.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or know any pics???? Thanks! :)

---- update ----
Here is a pic of it on Ryder's bike. It doesn't show it very well. I also believe the design was improved upon from this particular version...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmmm... Looks very very fragile to me, not so great for mtb. One crash OTB and that "custom lockout" would be history.

And Im not sure why one would not just by a standard remote lockout from Rock Shox, it cant weigh that much more than a spoke.

But hey if it it works for you, than more power to ya.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice picture! I think the height of yours is one reason the ones I recall seeing in the pits had more zigzags in the vertical portion, between the fork and bar.

As for the comments of using a pop lock from rockshox, my curiousity is because I don't have a rockshox. I have a Fox F100RLC and the example shots of Ryder H.'s bike are on Manitou forks. Not sure the Rockshox one is compatible with either of those, but I may be mistaken.

Is there a Fox lockout lever for the F100RLC from 2007? I'd post this to a Fox manufacturer forum, but didn't see one last I looked.

Thanks.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,409 Posts
soulrida said:
Hmmm... Looks very very fragile to me, not so great for mtb. One crash OTB and that "custom lockout" would be history.

And Im not sure why one would not just by a standard remote lockout from Rock Shox, it cant weigh that much more than a spoke.

But hey if it it works for you, than more power to ya.
If that fork is a Rock Shox with motion control, then you cannot just stick a poplock on it. You have to change the motion control unit as well.

So what if the spoke gets bent? Just bend it back or make a new one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kapusta said:
If that fork is a Rock Shox with motion control, then you cannot just stick a poplock on it. You have to change the motion control unit as well.

So what if the spoke gets bent? Just bend it back or make a new one.
Exactly! Low tech, simple to fix. Worse case, you just have to reach *all the way* down to the fork and twist the lever like you would have otherwise!

I will say that the fox nubbin is quite smaller than the one on my previous fork, a SID wc. Wouldn't mind making it a tad bigger if the lockout thing doesn't work. Maybe just tapping a small thread and putting a small bolt in w/ a little spacer or something. Anything to give it a bit more mass.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran one on a sid and have seen it on a Manitou R7. I dont' think it will work with the Fox Forks because the resistance on the lockout knob is alot higher than the Sid or R7 and the spoke just tweaks instead of locking it out.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
MGBYLR said:
I ran one on a sid and have seen it on a Manitou R7. I dont' think it will work with the Fox Forks because the resistance on the lockout knob is alot higher than the Sid or R7 and the spoke just tweaks instead of locking it out.
That sounds like a challenge, I might have to give it a go :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.