Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just got this Pro Scio Alti from Price Point. Sounds like a solid product, it has a lot of different functions and it feels solid also, but very light. It's also gotten good reviews online, but it seems like no one has it.

So, here's the problem I am having, it has 3 preset settings for wheel size, 700c, 26 MTB, and 29 MTB. So, clearly they intended it to be useful to a variety of riders, but the fork mount is ridiculous. It has be mounted so that the magnet passes within 5 mm of the unit, but I don't know how to mount the unit appropriately. Check out the photos here, I have to basically stick the unit sideways to get it close enough, but it still wont work because the magnet needs to pass the side of the fork mount, not the front of it. See the photos below. I am hoping that someone has this unit and has a fix. I am having the same problem with my road bike (Giant Defy Advanced). I want this to work, maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine gets here on Wednesday this week, also got a crazy deal on Pricepoint. However I'm in the same boat, the user manual I've found online does not address mouting at all. It only covers using the functions of the computers. Found several foreign pages that talk about the computer but the translation was garbled at best.

I plan to set mine where it won't rotate into the spokes (i hope) take it on some bumpy rides and see how it does. I'm hoping there is some sort of rubber backing to the mount so it doesn't slip or rotate. If not, I was thinking of 'painting' a rubber stripe on my fork using Plastidip for grip. I've used the stuff on other parts, car emblems, drink coasters...works great and comes off easy. I'm also hoping that if the sensor is mounted tight enough, it should only have it's own weight to try and swing it around unless it's actually hit by something, and if it's light enough then it shouldn't sway around.

I'm very interested to see how your mounting goes, hopefully you find something that will work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
move it further down the fork leg closer to the hub

I thought about that, but I think they're supposed to be as high on the fork as possible to get an accurate reading. At least that is how computers I have had in the past have worked. Of course, this thing comes with Ikea instructions. They're ridiculous and useless.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,499 Posts
no, it doesn't matter. it never has. all the sensor does is count revolutions. the computer's head unit calculates distance by multiplying the circumference of the wheel by the number of revolutions.

This is why a rollout is the best way to measure the circumference of your wheel, and enter that number manually, rather than using the crappy pre-programmed settings in the computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no, it doesn't matter. it never has. all the sensor does is count revolutions. the computer's head unit calculates distance by multiplying the circumference of the wheel by the number of revolutions.

This is why a rollout is the best way to measure the circumference of your wheel, and enter that number manually, rather than using the crappy pre-programmed settings in the computer.
Definitely do the roll out mentioned above. The only thing that being closer to the hub will do is increase the sample frequency the sensor has to deal with. I would think you would have to go insanely fast to go beyond the capability of even an economy chip...and seeing as how this model retails for around $80, my guess is it would be fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hmmm, that's good to know. Mounting it lower on the fork/rim will definitely help with the issue. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm, that's good to know. Mounting it lower on the fork/rim will definitely help with the issue. Thanks for the input guys.
I'll try and add a picture of mine later today, but putting it closer to the hub helps. I'm going for a ride today and will see how well it stays in place with the rubber o-ring type of mounting. I will likely put a ziptie or two on it for insurance.

I forgot to take a picture of the instructions, but the sensing point is marked with an "S" but also the diagram of it in the installation instructions makes it look like the sensor wraps around the tip to the same spot on the back. I haven't fully tested this theory yet. I was able to get speed readings last night on the work stand by rotating the sensor in quite a bit. But if the sensor does wrap around, it could provide more mounting options.

Mounting it to the front of the fork should keep it from getting pulled into the wheel since if it gets hit by the spokes from this side it should just swing it out provided nothing breaks.

Aside from mounting and not having used it yet...the setup of the computer itself was fairly simple so that's a plus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts