Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has come up before, but I don't follow XC racing too closely. As usually happens, I get into a debate about 29" bikes vs. 26" bikes with other riders. This time it was an online forum (actually a semi-local page singletrack.net). I know some regional races, 24 hour races and MikeC'esque endurance events have had strong showings by big wheeled riders.

However, someone on the singletrack forum stated there were NO pro XC riders riding 29ers. Is that true? If not, who's riding on one? What's the best finish of any pro XC race by a rider on a 29er?

Thanks! I figured someone had this info at the ready.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I do.

Well, I ride one. And I had a UCI elite license (=Norba pro) until fairly recently. For $150 a year, I could buy a lot of beers... so screw the UCI. That was the rationale.

I don't go to any nationals or anything, though, and I spend most of my time building these days, so I'm pretty fat/slow now. I got 10th (and would have been 5th if not for chain problems) on my 29er singlespeed in the pro race at Winter Park a while back - though that's a pretty sorry race, pro-field wise. I know of a couple of other pros who tried them last year, no idea if they still race on them. I imagine the GF camp will try out one of their big names (Ryder?) on one soon - unless they decide that the full-suspension 26" stuff is more profitable. Which they might.

-Walt

·
Registered
86 Posts
I race 29

Nat Ross here. I have raced the big wheels all season at all the NORBA's I was leading the NORBA Nationals points series in the Marathon until last week where I slipped to second. I also got 3rd at the 24 HR NORBA National Championships and won the GLOBAL championships in June overseas with the big wheels. There are several other pros like Mike Janelle, Pete Swenson, and Ross Schnell all from Colorado who race the big wheels from time to time. I've seen two other pros this summer that I do not know the names of. Ryder and I both raced our 29ers last Nov. at the Iceman Commeth. You will be seeing more and more of them--Believe me. Ride on.

Nat Ross

1 - 4 of 4 Posts