Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You never hear of the pros getting nasty cases of poison oak/ivy like us mere mortals do. Are the courses groomed to the point where this isn't an issue?

"Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
dont ride in the weeds? I've never heard of anyone getting poison ivy during a race from riding (use tall socks?). There was that ONE time i grabbed the wrong leaf though. Def paid for that

·
No. Just No.
5,287 Posts
You never hear of the pros getting nasty cases of poison oak/ivy like us mere mortals do. Are the courses groomed to the point where this isn't an issue?
I think it's safe to say that world cup courses aren't set up like a casual ride on local trails which might include some very lightly used trails that are bordering on overgrown.

dont ride in the weeds? I've never heard of anyone getting poison ivy during a race from riding (use tall socks?). There was that ONE time i grabbed the wrong leaf though. Def paid for that
Ummm, I guess it depends what you did with that leaf. :eekster:

It happens at some events that I have raced in the past that are notorious for it, but mostly when riders end up off course either through a spill or to fix a mechanical. I recall having a flat right in the middle of a very long section of narrow singletrack at one event, where I had to set up "shop" in the foliage to the side of the trail to make sure riders had enough space to pass, as it would have taken too long to hike it out to the next section of double track to fix. I was definitely moving and stepping around very gingerly while trying to get my fix done in a reasonable time!

Also worth noting that every time I read about people who say they consider themselves out of a race once they flat (and so don't carry tools) I think back to this event at which I closed back up to a podium placing by the end after my fix, only 2 minutes off the winner. I was pretty pissed at flatting while riding with the lead group, and put every ounce of that anger into the pedals.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have only gotten poison ivy from one race and it's because I crashed into some overgrown brush off to the side of the trail. Unfortunately there must have been a lot of ivy in that particular spot. It ended up being a realllll bad case of it. I just wrapped it up and raced two weeks later with giant blisters on my arm.

I also agree with the others that the trails they ride are so groomed that there's no poison ivy around.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Many promoters will do their due diligence in an effort to rid the course of noxious plantlife like p.i. Sometimes they don't always knock it back far enough, nor do they see it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did an endurance race on a lap course a couple years ago and something was slapping my arm in this nice fast DH section every lap. After a while it was my que that I was lined up for the corner correctly, lol. To bad for me it was poison oak/or ivy. Took a couple months to go away, but it didn't have any effect on how fast (or how often) I could ride my bike so I didn't care much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts