Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grr.

I pulled my cassette last night to clean all the sprockets etc. It was a little stuck on the freehub body due to the alu shell, and I inadvertantly removed the freehub body from the hub. No big deal. I didn't lose anyhthing, and it just presses back on...

Except when I put everything together and clamp the QR skewer down with the wheel in the frame, the freehub body wont freewheel. The all-important spacer is in between the driveside hub bearing and the freehub body, and everything works fine with the wheel off the bike. It seems as though the driveside spacer is rubbing on the outside edge of the outside freehub body bearing, causing drag, which is obviously exaggerated when the qr is closed. This baffles me. I've not moved the axle or any bearings and, like I said, the critical spacer that often causes this is definitely in place.

Dissassembly and reinstallation didn't solve it.

The only thing I can think off is that I need to be a bit more forceful in pressing on the freehub body. Maybe it isn't quite properly seated hence the drag I'm experiencing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does your hub have the large diameter outer plastic seal that sits in a groove in the freehub body ? If so check that the seal is properly engaged in its location in the main hub body when you slide the freehub back on. If it isn't clipped into the main hub all the way round it can bow a little to cause the problem you describe...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randalliser said:
Does your hub have the large diameter outer plastic seal that sits in a groove in the freehub body ? If so check that the seal is properly engaged in its location in the main hub body when you slide the freehub back on. If it isn't clipped into the main hub all the way round it can bow a little to cause the problem you describe...
Having read through element's link above, I'm inclined to suspect this. The seal did come out, and I just pushed it back in with the freehub body, so I'd put money on it being improperly seated. Will try when I get home from work...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Randalliser said:
Yup, it sounds like the dust seals. I had the same issues and seating it resolved it right away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingo. I love the Turner forum. Thanks guys.

Now for some reason my (old style, non-shadow) derraileur, that I just took off my dhr where it was working properly, wont go into the bottom two sprockets. The outer parallelogram plate catches on the upper pivot housing long before the high limit adjuster screw contacts it's stop. Damnit. This is the 4th derraileur in 5 weeks that's failed me... (Well, the uber long cage Acera I bought on a ski hill to tide me over for one race-run didn't fail me, but it sure as hell wasn't staying on my dhr for longer than needed!)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No way. Something's off/bent. I think it didn't matter on my dhr because the hanger is that much thicker that the derrailer sits further outboard. On my rfx I have to have the lower limit screw all the way in to keep the chain from going into the spokes.

I have SO had it with derrailers right now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts