Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my 141 for the past month or so. Coming from a 2019 27.5 Stumpjumper ST, I'm definitely appreciating Privateer's more modern geometry and (first for me) 29'er wheels. The steep seatube angle is definitely appreciated on the climbs. Cleaned a few technical sections that I had previously had trouble with on the stumpy. The long wheelbase does make it slightly more challenging when wiggling through some tighter sections.

On the downs, the guy just wants to eat. The steeper and faster it gets, the more its in its element. It also rails long sweeping corners and you feel really "pitted" in the bike due to the low BB and long chainstays, which gives you a lot of confidence mid-corner.

Still trying to get used to the bike when the trail gets slower and flatter, as it requires a bit more body english to get the bike moving where you want it to go.

Overall, really happy with the new rig and look forward to keep putting it through its paces.

Anyone on a Privateer 141 or 161?
Let us know how you like your whip!
#allkillernofiller

·
SD"special delivery"Jones
8 Posts
Got mine a few days ago. Only have about 20 miles on it so it's too soon to write a review.

This was purchased to compliment a short travel downcountry bike. The Privateer 141 feels aggressive trail / all-mountainy, which filled a personal riding need.

I'm excited to learn how to ride this thing \m/

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Not an owner, but let’s just say I’m quite interested. It’s just hard to commit without being able to demo.

Curious to see if anyone else has one.

I will say that BetaMTB’s review of the 141 is quite glowing. And the value proposition on their bikes is stellar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Their value proposition definitely helped me make the decision. The component build is so well specced, that one day, if I wanted to go for some fancier carbon bike with a more sophisticated suspension design, it would make for a great frame swap.
However I'm not left wanting
Got mine a few days ago. Only have about 20 miles on it so it's too soon to write a review.

This was purchased to compliment a short travel downcountry bike. The Privateer 141 feels aggressive trail / all-mountainy, which filled a personal riding need.

View attachment 1943622
nice. what's your other downcountry bike? I've been thinking about my next bike also being a short travel or hardtail xc/downcountry bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been riding the P3 141 for the past month! This is my first mountain bike, so I don't have any frame of reference, but I love it overall!

Only change I have made so far is cutting the bars from 800mm to 760mm, as I slightly sprained my shoulder the first day riding with the stock bars, which I think was related to the bars being too wide for me.

I plan on changing the 32t chainring for a 28t chainring.

The BB is quite low, I get quite a few pedal strikes even trying to be cognizant of them. Additionally the frame seems to have a fair bit of tire clearance. These two facts are leading me to consider trying once the stock tires wear out, 2.8 Maxxis Rekon or 2.8 WTB Vigilante tires. I don't think I would mind the weight as the bike is quite heavy anyhow, and the plushness and higher BB would work well for me I think.

·
Registered
49 Posts

View attachment 1943622
Hey nice bike! Curious about your Float X shock, did you put that on aftermarket? And also what kind of dropper / bars are those?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Been riding the P3 141 for the past month! This is my first mountain bike, so I don't have any frame of reference, but I love it overall!

Only change I have made so far is cutting the bars from 800mm to 760mm, as I slightly sprained my shoulder the first day riding with the stock bars, which I think was related to the bars being too wide for me.

I plan on changing the 32t chainring for a 28t chainring.

The BB is quite low, I get quite a few pedal strikes even trying to be cognizant of them. Additionally the frame seems to have a fair bit of tire clearance. These two facts are leading me to consider trying once the stock tires wear out, 2.8 Maxxis Rekon or 2.8 WTB Vigilante tires. I don't think I would mind the weight as the bike is quite heavy anyhow, and the plushness and higher BB would work well for me I think.

View attachment 1943720
How tall are you, and what is your cycling inseam if I may ask? How does the bike fit you? Does the ETT feel super short?

I'm in this weird place, where I'm between sizes for their bikes. And, with their geo, you basically have to decide if you want to buy the bike based on reach, or by ETT.

I'm 6'1", but with a 36.25in cycling inseam (so longer legs than avg for my height). And I'm not sure if I should be looking at a P3, or P4.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How tall are you, and what is your cycling inseam if I may ask? How does the bike fit you? Does the ETT feel super short?

I'm in this weird place, where I'm between sizes for their bikes. And, with their geo, you basically have to decide if you want to buy the bike based on reach, or by ETT.

I'm 6'1", but with a 36.25in cycling inseam (so longer legs than avg for my height). And I'm not sure if I should be looking at a P3, or P4.
I am 6'0, not quite sure of my actual inseam, but it does feel short, however not in a bad way for me. I kind of like the upright sitting position. I should note that so far all of my rides have been 2-3 hours, so I am not sure how this would feel for a very long ride.

But I do think for you it is a good question which size would be best, because I think either would work. The one thing that I do notice with the bike is that it quite long and tricky to get around switchbacks relative to my gravel bike, so personally at least I think I am happy with a P3 to keep the wheelbase short for tricky climbs. But I am somewhat jealous of the P4 with the long chainstays and wheelbase, I bet that is a lot of fun downhill. So overall I don't think there is a wrong answer for you, I think you are right on the cutoff.

·
8 Posts
Their value proposition definitely helped me make the decision. The component build is so well specced, that one day, if I wanted to go for some fancier carbon bike with a more sophisticated suspension design, it would make for a great frame swap.
However I'm not left wanting

nice. what's your other downcountry bike? I've been thinking about my next bike also being a short travel or hardtail xc/downcountry bike.
Yeti SB100.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey thanks! The Float X came stock on the SLX build I purchased. Dropper is a PNW components Rainier R; Bars are 800mm ProTaper. Both also came stock. The only things I'm thinking about adding are an oval chainring and a bashguard. Other than that, the spec seems completely appropriate for what this bike is intended for - smashing downhills.
Cool, makes sense! I understand on the bashguard, I have smacked my ring a bunch of times already (some of it probably due to new rider error). At this point I am just planning on spending a bit more time with the current setup learning my way around the local trails and then swapping to a new 28t chainring and hoping that reduces the number of chainring hits. But do follow up and let us know if you get a bashguard that fits well, I would be curious! Because I haven't researched that closely but I think to mount the bashguard would require removing the existing chainguide right? And so are you planning on purchasing one of those combo chainguide / bashguards?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey thanks! The Float X came stock on the SLX build I purchased. Dropper is a PNW components Rainier R; Bars are 800mm ProTaper. Both also came stock. The only things I'm thinking about adding are an oval chainring and a bashguard. Other than that, the spec seems completely appropriate for what this bike is intended for - smashing downhills.
Also cool that your bike came with the Trailwide V2! Mine came with just the prior V1, I guess must have just missed the new ones by a month :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
interesting that it came with the Float X. I asked privateer when Fox launched the Float X if they planned on updating their build with it but they said at the time it wasn't in their plans. Looks like now they are. I hear great things about them. If there's one thing I'm hoping to upgrade, it's the rear shock as id like something a little more plush than the dpx2

·
8 Posts
interesting that it came with the Float X. I asked privateer when Fox launched the Float X if they planned on updating their build with it but they said at the time it wasn't in their plans. Looks like now they are. I hear great things about them. If there's one thing I'm hoping to upgrade, it's the rear shock as id like something a little more plush than the dpx2
If you look at the website, you see that the SLX build is stocked with the DPX 2. Not sure why I received the Float X and I'm not complaining. I do know that my shipment was delayed a couple of weeks as the rear shock wasn't available at the time the bike was scheduled to be built.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great build! How do you like the coil? And what are you using for chainstay protection?
The coil is great, I fitted as soon as I got the frame from Privateer without a shock so I cant compare on this bike.
When I got the frame I stripped all the frame protection off, fitting a Rockguardz down tube protector as I was really impressed with it on on my Geometron and for the chainstay fitted a VHS protector, it been super and has contributed to a really quiet bike.

This isnt a light build, as I do like a coil fork so the Ultimate's have a Smashpot in there, which I have run for the last two years and cant fault it for grip.

Coming from the Geometron (I had mulleted with a 62deg head angle) I think its so much more agile, with very little compromise to straight line speed, I have not changed the geometry at all but I may, on the forks next service pop them up to 160mm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts