Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carson City is developing a master plan for the Prison Hill recreation area. Here's your chance to have some input: https://carson.org/government/departments-g-z/parks-recreation-open-space/survey

I think this area, along with Centennial, has a lot of potential for off season riding as it stays mostly free of snow during the winter. Personally I'd like to see a better trailhead at Koontz as it's currently hard to get a regular car up there due to the state of the road. If you'd also like to see a bike park and/or pump track in the city, make sure you mention it in the comments .

·
Premium Member
10,765 Posts
After completing the survey I was left wondering how they came up with their priorities. Koontz TH is the natural gateway to Prison Hill, but it doesn’t get a bathroom or road improvements?

I half wonder if there is opposition to development on Prison Hill. The trail alignments were done over two years ago ...

Jeff said we need to be patient, sure, what else can we do, but I ain’t getting any younger 🙄

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think one of the main issues with developing a proper trailhead at Koontz is that the road crosses BLM land and the current easement is for access to the water tank, not for recreation. In order to modify that road or put in a toilet they'd probably have to renegotiate the easement to allow for recreational traffic, and then the City would essentially have to build the access road on land it doesn't own. I totally agree though, and I put the same thing on my questionnaire. A Koontz trailhead would be perfect!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.