Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
baycat said:
Is there a pot of gold or a hundred lost gatos MILFs at the end of that trail?
At the end of "dog meat" or upper Priest Rock? No, in fact there is more pain.........If you go right at the 3way, you will come across some rolling hills. One of them has this nasty 50 meter climb that makes "Dog Meat" seem easier. I have heard reports of people making it, but cannot confirm they did not hitch a line to a running deer to make it up.:D

If you mean at the end of St Joes, there is just a nice view (of the land).

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
ziscwg said:
At the end of "dog meat" or upper Priest Rock? No, in fact there is more pain.........If you go right at the 3way, you will come across some rolling hills. One of them has this nasty 50 meter climb that makes "Dog Meat" seem easier. I have heard reports of people making it, but cannot confirm they did not hitch a line to a running deer to make it up.:D

If you mean at the end of St Joes, there is just a nice view (of the land).
I cleared it all that day... while taking pictures, using that heavy white bike.

It was a special day. That's why I'm never going back there again!

fc

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
MrCrash said:
Nice :) I had an 07 for a little bit. If I remember correctly, the fork has a travel adjust knob on it. Are you locking the front down to keep the front from wandering?

Not sure what kind of back tire that is - looks like it has plenty of grip tho.
Yep the shocks are totally adjustable and I tighten it all up when climbing, front forks get around 5" travel when set up soft for downhill, very nice for my mangled neck.

Tires that came with the bike are Specialized ESKAR 26x2.30 (58-559) 2BLISS

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
With a little cajoling, I convinced Plymmer that he wanted to skip his usual Saturday Coe ride to go have some fun around my neck of the woods. I promised lots of climbing, in order to make up for it.

The ride ended ended up being about 38 miles, with 5,700 feet of climbing, which Plymmer deemed passable....barely.

Here is some video from the climb up Dogmeat, with a little commentary on the ways, since the OP was asking for a few tips. My apologies for the rattle in the audio; I had not used a camera strapped to my stem before, so there must have been some movement that caused the noise and slight vibration.

Dogmeat: August 1, 2009 from Diesel on Vimeo.

The second one shows Plymmer on the main climb, as well as some on bike footage of the two steep hills on upper Kennedy. The others climbs on this stretch are pretty easy, in comparison, so I did not bother to get any shots of those.

Again, I'm not an expert with the camera or editing.

Enjoy,

-D

Dogmeat and Upper Kennedy: August 1, 2009 from Diesel on Vimeo.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Diesel~ said:
With a little cajoling, I convinced Plymmer that he wanted to skip his usual Saturday Coe ride to go have some fun around my neck of the woods. I promised lots of climbing, in order to make up for it.

The ride ended ended up being about 38 miles, with 5,700 feet of climbing, which Plymmer deemed passable....barely.

This photo really explains the gravity of the situation.

fc

Attachments

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
That Darn 29er Plymmer

Yes! that's me. I forgot to formally announce that I bought a 29er some months ago. It's a Stumpjumper FSR with Reba 4" forks. It changed my life on the downhill. Uphill it didn't seem to affect too much. What an amazing bicycle!

Roy.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
The Darkside

The dark side of 29ers or the dark side of being able to clean dog meat? Am I in some freaky fraternity where everyone wears hats with clusters with crank arms sticking out of them and repeat biker phrases in Latin over and over again? Or the aspect of riding a bike now that has tires that are ridiculously large in diameter it makes you feel guilty. Or what?

Roy.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
plymmer said:
Yes! that's me. I forgot to formally announce that I bought a 29er some months ago. It's a Stumpjumper FSR with Reba 4" forks. It changed my life on the downhill. Uphill it didn't seem to affect too much. What an amazing bicycle!

Roy.
Changed downhills for you? Do tell.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
The Joy Of Downhills

Well,

I get a lot more grip from the tires. The whole bike seems more stable and not near as much slippage around turns. And the suspension of a stumpjumper as opposed to an epic is much more smooth. It's kind of like riding a couch with your big brother there to protect you. I am a lot more fearless on this bike. Therefore I can scream going downhills. Hell, what's going to happen? I've got my big brother there to protect me.

Roy.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
This climb use to be my holy grail back in the day, with a 7 speed 28 rear cassette and a rocky loose trail it seemed impossible back then yet a select few did it.

Not much into endless steep fire roads these days that do not have some kind of single track payoff, but all this talk got me interested in trying it again. Hell Diesel was even able to narrate the the dang thing while climbing it, and I figured if Plymmer could do it on a 29'r no less it was time to give it a go again.

Had a nice cloud hoovering overhead to keep things cool, a 34 tooth pie plate in the back, and a relatively smooth trail makes this climb not so bad these days. The trail is not that loose right now and it's a fine time to give this one a go if your wanting to concur it.

I just might have broken the speed limit a bit going down, days are ending a bit earlier now, and the kick butt moon was rising on the way back.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
TahoeBC said:
This climb use to be my holy grail back in the day, with a 7 speed 28 rear cassette and a rocky loose trail it seemed impossible back then yet a select few did it.

Not much into endless steep fire roads these days that do not have some kind of single track payoff, but all this talk got me interested in trying it again. Hell Diesel was even able to narrate the the dang thing while climbing it, and I figured if Plymmer could do it on a 29'r no less it was time to give it a go again.

Had a nice cloud hoovering overhead to keep things cool, a 34 tooth pie plate in the back, and a relatively smooth trail makes this climb not so bad these days. The trail is not that loose right now and it's a fine time to give this one a go if your wanting to concur it.

I just might have broken the speed limit a bit going down, days are ending a bit earlier now, and the kick butt moon was rising on the way back.
I agree. This used to be brutal, slippery and dangerous on the downhill. It's pretty smooth these days.

I don't really see too much difference in the 29er for climbing. Maybe I'm used to it and I haven't ridden my 26er for a while but the "roll over anything" aspect of the 29er seems to make up for any other downsides in climbing. It weighs 28 pounds. Really a great all around bike and seems a lot more bullet-proof than my 26er Epic. I've snapped 2 deraillure hangers but everything seems in good shape after minor repairs. A well designed machine. And I love the SRAM rear deraillure. Much better than my Shimano XTR. And I have a pair of Captain Command Control tires that are very grippy.

Roy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks again all for the advice! I am going to give PR another go in the next week or two. So far I 've been on Overgrown up to the intersection.

I'm practicing some techniqe and changes. Working on breathing and find that if I give a huge breath out every few minutes then my lungs refill way better. Dropped my tire pressure just a tad, keeping my elbows down too. Lastly I'm working on keeping as full a revolution as possible when pedaling with platform pedals. I've got some sticky 510 shoes so I am getting a little better and quicker. Of course whats quick for me is slow for many others but oh well, at least I'm trying.

:thumbsup:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.