Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yes you can, but

Don't expect anything earth shattering in terms of a deal, and don't jerk anyone around. Negotiate in good faith, only when you are ready to buy. In other words, don't go into the shop and haggle, just to see how far down you can get them, and then tell them...well..I'll think about it. As a rule of thumb, shops will come down 5-10% on a new model year bike, less on more popular models, more on bikes that don't necessarily move quickly. Your best bet is to find an '05 or '06 leftover. That will be the bike that sees the steepest discount.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you're more likeley to get a better OVERALL price, if you buy accessories at the time you buy your bike. Accessories have a higher markup to them. If you buy your bike, helmet, gloves, shoes, shorts and some other goodies at the same time, you are more likely to get a good deal on the whole lot than if you were to just go in and buy the bike.

Bob

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
C_m_C is on the right track. The bikes are the lowest margin item in most LBSs. Not a lot of room for deals. From this already low margin the LBS is expected to pay for the shipping (usually), assembly and followup service for the bike. Many will offer you a good discount on accessories that you buy at the same time.

I have ordered new bikes from my LBS with a semi-empolyee deal (basically cost plus shipping) and the discount ended up being less than 25%. Still a good deal for me but my small LBS made nothing from my purchase.

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
Find a LBS you like. Hang out and talk bikes and family. Buy lunch for them. Ride with them. Ten bucks worth of beer goes a long way if they like beer. It is kinda simple, you might get a better deal and some friends in the process. It is really good to have friends that work in a shop. Keeps you riding more too.

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
It can depend on your location, the size of the shop, etc. In some areas, shops are known to offer discounts from MSRP. But as Clyde said, it usuallly isn't much more than 10%. Some of the big chains (Performance, etc) do offer bikes at well below MSRP. Many, if not most, small shops are going to sell at MSRP or only just a fraction below it. There are shops that do actually charge more than MSRP! But as the others have said, shops may not discount the bikes, but often they do discount accessories made at the point of sale. Our shop offers a buyers program that basically returns almost 10% to the customer in the form of a gift card. So although we sell at MSRP, your dollar does go a bit further.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Negotiate in good faith, only when you are ready to buy. In other words, don't go into the shop and haggle, just to see how far down you can get them, and then tell them...well..I'll think about it.
This goes for pretty much anything. If you open negotiations, you're essentially saying you'll buy if you reach an agreeable price. If the shop meets your price, don't tell them "you'll think about it" and try and beat it elsewhere.

Bike shops will vary in what kind of deals they'll do based on a whole bunch of factors. You might get a better discount on an ordered bike because they don't have to front the money until it sell. Or you might get a better discount on an in stock model because they're sick of paying for it. Just depends on your timing and their volume.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
the 10% gift card Idea is great! I would rather have that than a discount on gear purchased at the same time. I wonder how it works out for the shop though. You could use it to replace parts you break or for service that might not be "covered". I already have all the gear I need so the gear discount doesn;t do much for me.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I have generally been able to get 15 to 20% of MSRP plus a few goodies, swap out a seat, or maybe a water bottle and cage.

Applies to components as well.

Only on total bills above $500 for components and bikes above $1600.

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
rekibtm said:
the 10% gift card Idea is great! I would rather have that than a discount on gear purchased at the same time. I wonder how it works out for the shop though. You could use it to replace parts you break or for service that might not be "covered". I already have all the gear I need so the gear discount doesn;t do much for me.
yes, most of our customers really like our program. And yes, you can use the gift cards toward service.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Giving back to the LBS

thebigred67 said:
Find a LBS you like. Hang out and talk bikes and family. Buy lunch for them. Ride with them. Ten bucks worth of beer goes a long way if they like beer. It is kinda simple, you might get a better deal and some friends in the process. It is really good to have friends that work in a shop. Keeps you riding more too.
This is an excellent idea, but don't expect the payback to be huge in terms of dollar savings. It's really about building the relationship with the LBS so that they know you when you come in, and builds a sense of camaraderie. I've built good relationships with 2 LBS by doing exactly what thebigred67 suggests. I buy many of my bike related goods online, and do a lot of wrenching myself, and my LBS knows that. I also need the support of my LBS, and am happy to support them when I can. Hanging out and talking shop is great. Get to know them on a more personal basis. When you have a last minute issue before your Saturday morning ride, or when you're a dollar or two short on your total, this is when the relationship really pays off. The shop I support right now has three employees, and I dropped in at Christmas time, and the owner greeted me as usual and said "What's up? Whatta ya need?" I said "I wanna buy you guys lunch" I got blank stares from the three of them. I popped $30 on the counter and said "Buy the guys lunch, on me. Merry Christnas" and just walked out. I really don't expect anything in return, just wanted to show my appreciation for them handling my needs. I felt pretty good walking out of the shop that day too.

Sorry to hijack, but I thought this point was worth making.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
just dont be a dick and most guys at shops will try there best to hook you up, treat em as if their a friend not just some middle man whos standing in the way of a great deal....plus dont expect too much of a discount.

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
The LBS here has this Retired guy that is there every day. Coolest guy. He has an old '57 Chevy that acceraters like a rocket. Terry. Great guy doesn't ride but loves to hang out and talk!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.