Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i am doing a school project and i need to collect some data from you guys. i am going to be compairing the total amount spent on your bike (if you have multiply bikes that you ride regularly just add up the prices), and the # of hours you ride in a normal week.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The one thing you aren't taking into account is very hard to measure and that are the intangibles..eg: pleasure, relaxation, stress relief, exercise/health, etc. And it matters not what you paid and the amount of hours you ride if you are getting those intangibles. It's been said before: you can't put a price on happiness.

Even if I spent $2300 on my bike and only ride 3 hours/week if I have a better time than the individual that spent $500 on their bike and rides 20hours/week I'm going to feel I got the better deal. How do quantify that which can only be measured subjectively? Cost vs.hours doesn't give any useful information. If you can afford it and it gives you pleasure then cost doesn't figure.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
fred3 said:
The one thing you aren't taking into account is very hard to measure and that are the intangibles..eg: pleasure, relaxation, stress relief, exercise/health, etc. And it matters not what you paid and the amount of hours you ride if you are getting those intangibles. It's been said before: you can't put a price on happiness.

Even if I spent $2300 on my bike and only ride 3 hours/week if I have a better time than the individual that spent $500 on their bike and rides 20hours/week I'm going to feel I got the better deal. How do quantify that which can only be measured subjectively? Cost vs.hours doesn't give any useful information. If you can afford it and it gives you pleasure then cost doesn't figure.
It's a high school project and the OP hasn't even explained what the project is even about.

Roughly $3500; 6hr / wk (3hr / week in winter and 6-8 hr / wk in spring - fall).

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
$3800 8-10 hrs/wk

Another variable you might consider (if you are concerned about such things) is the type of riding and the necessary equipment for that riding, e.g. compare amt spent by a racer with the amt spent by someone who rides a hybrid around their neighborhood, even if the avg time on the bike is comparable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyclopod said:
It's a high school project and the OP hasn't even explained what the project is even about.
I am in a data management class, and i need to collect data and make graphs and stuff. I am trying to see if there is a relation to the amout $ and the # of hours riding.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
2 bikes - 1 road, 1 mountain. Should get 2 seasons out of 'em both.

Total Value: $8,500 +/-

Annual riding hours: 600 +/-

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
My bike was about $1600 new, and I'm putting another 5 or 6 bills' worth of upgrades into it over the next couple of months.

As to riding time...anywhere between 5 and 40 hours a week, depending on work, weather, etc.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I guess as evidenced by the previous poster's reply there is no such thing as a normal week for a lot of us.

2500 for the mt bike--I have only 600 miles on it in only TWO years; you do the math.
A very few rare weeks I've ridden the bikes lots. Then there are stretchs---I haven;'t even had this bike out since near Thanksgiving I think.

1000 for the road bike--say 4 hrs a week on the weeks I ride. On average.

250--cycleops fluid + trainer--now there's the value---6 to 10+ hrs a week depending. But even here I'll get lazy and let a week or 2 go by without touching it.

Like a prior poster replied, a person can be a bike nut and enthusiast and thoroughly enjoy when he or she does ride--just for one reason or the other--that turns up to be infrequently.

Your model seems simplistic--I would imagine you are going to find no correlation whatsoever because of this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sounds like he's just looking for data to make a graph out of. It's not a science class so who cares what his hypothesis is and if it has any merit. Just give him basic numbers to work with.

$3000, two bikes
7 hours avg per week

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That's an interesting comparison actually, IRVINERG. You may presume that the more $ spent on a bike, an increase in time on it would follow. :idea: There is probably a positive correlation for many reasons, including the presumption on my part that as we ride or compete more, we simply want better bikes.

I just spent 5K and will log around 20 hrs/week in the summer including racing time.

Keep in mind that those with more than one bike will naturally see less time per bike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.