Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably isn't news for a lot of you, but I've been frustrated with my dealings with Price Point in 2014, and I figure I can save people a little grief if I share my experiences here.

First off, back in January, Price Point had a 15% off sale that I was going to jump on to buy a SRAM X9 drive train kit I'd had sitting in my wishlist. The only problem is that during the sale, my wish list link took me to a 404 page. After the sale was over, it took me back to the drive train kit.

I wrote Price Point to ask what happened and was told:

Our kits were removed from the site and not included in our 15% sale. We’ve actually not added the item back on our site because we no longer have that kit available. I do show the link you’ve provided works and shows the item once clicked, but it is not an active item and you would not be able to purchase the kit.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

You would be able to purchase the kit items separately at this time.

We are in the process of updating kits and when everything is updated and available it will allow you to purchase on our site.

OK, fair enough, I guess. The kits have not come back, and I was later told, "I have not heard if we will bring those kits back. I will pass the information along to our purchasing department so perhaps they can reconsider the idea."

During the "The Big Sale" event, I picked out a little more than $50 worth of stuff I wanted to get: Seatpost, chain and gloves. I figured I'd use the $30 in store credit I was sitting on because the drive kits weren't coming back.

I called up to place my order because it was my first time placing an order with store credit involved, and ended up speaking with a woman named Vanessa. She told me Price Point did not offer free shipping on orders over $50 unless it was part of a temporary promotion. When I said I'd received an e-mail in March that said they would offered free shipping on purchases of $50 or more forever, she told me that wasn't true. As I looked for the e-mail, I told her over and over again I was sure Price Point had sent me that e-mail, and she continued to deny free shipping on orders had ever been anything more than a temporary promotion, implying that I was making things up. I found the e-mail and read her the line: "No, Not For a Limited Time, For Good!"
freeship.png

"Sir, that doesn't say forever," was her response.

I asked to speak with her supervisor, and was told I'd have to call back tomorrow because the supervisors and managers were all gone for the day.

I told her I'd like to have the items I wanted noted at the current sale price so that price would be honored when I called back tomorrow. She told me the price wouldn't change, and that if it did, they'd honor the sale price for me tomorrow.

To Price Point's credit, I wrote them immediately after I got off the phone, and they got back to me that night by e-mail, saying they'd extend free shipping one time for the order I'd tried to place.

Lo and behold, when I did call up, I spoke with a man who couldn't accept yesterday's sale price without proof. Fortunately, I'd written them the day before with a screenshot of my cart, but needing the proof made me that much more frustrated at how horrible Vanessa had been on the phone the day before. :madman:

Parts disappearing during a sale, coming back afterwards, free shipping being announced then disappearing without any communication, being told prices wouldn't change overnight, but even if they did, they'd be honored turning out to be untrue without proof...

I spent well over $1,000 on parts and tools at Price Point in 2013, and all my experiences with them were positive. I don't know what's happened to make things different this year, but I am not at all impressed with them this year.

Are they under new ownership or does anyone have any inkling of why things might have changed?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, look through the " Easton EC70 Carbon bars" thread. We got off topic and half the thread was about the free shipping "for good" issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I played this game with these clowns last week. Ended up ordering from Biker Bon, Jenson, Bike Bling, and Ribble instead for my build. Why would I pay for shipping when most of the competitors offer free shipping?

·
Class Clown
3,052 Posts
I love how anytime you ask for a manager (not just them but a lot of businesses) they always happen to not be in. As if managers just leave employees alone all the time. If there was no manager she wouldn't bother answering the phone.

I also love how the conversation got all philosophical. Well we didn't mean like forever, man. To be fair they did use a double negative in the ad, so saying no, not for a limited time could actually mean for a limited time. Very sneaky!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love how anytime you ask for a manager (not just them but a lot of businesses) they always happen to not be in. As if managers just leave employees alone all the time. If there was no manager she wouldn't bother answering the phone.

I also love how the conversation got all philosophical. Well we didn't mean like forever, man. To be fair they did use a double negative in the ad, so saying no, not for a limited time could actually mean for a limited time. Very sneaky!
lol "she wouldnt bother answering the phone"

Ill be avoiding pricepoint this season.Not the first weird complain about them recently.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I ordered from them earlier this week and I was a bit confused by getting charged shipping since I thought they had done away with it LOL. I only ordered some tubes and some fork travel spacers so it wasn't a big deal; i did shop around and they came slightly cheaper even having to pay for shipping.
One thing about the "insurance" charge, in my previous 3 orders I've asked for it to be removed and they have done so without hesitation and without asking any questions.

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Yep, I was surprised with my order this week. Items were still much less expensive than other places with the shipping, so went ahead. PP is not my general go-to shop for stuff, but I watch them for some great sales that come up occasionally.

Edit: Always fast shipping though--2 days from CA to AZ.

·
uber lurker
5 Posts
Just saw this thread. PP lost a couple hundred $$ worth of business this month to Art's Cyclery due to the shipping thing. Small thing, I know, but in the end if your website says free shipping over $50 and you can't even get that right (shipping was still included in the cart) I'm not going through with the sale to see if you can get that part right as well.

Art's has become my go to for when my local shops don't carry something I want. QUICK shipping on every order I've done thus far, basically order Monday and arrives by Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yep. I ditched PeePee a while ago. Universal is my go to now. Huge stock, price matching and with 15% coupon is rarely more expensive than other options.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm down the middle on this. Yeah, they look pretty inept by putting out that free shipping claim and then backing out, but I've had no problems with customer service and have got a lot of good deals from them, particularly in the past year. I don't care if I have free shipping or not because there is no such thing; there's just the bottom line. The shipping is figuring in whether it's charged separate or not. Is it the best price shipped or not?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, they look pretty inept by putting out that free shipping claim and then backing out, but I've had no problems with customer service and have got a lot of good deals from them, particularly in the past year.
In 2013 I thought they were absolutely great. That and the quick response to my e-mail means that they have not lost me as a customer, they're just no longer my default go-to store.

I have always been treated well at Jenson, Universal, Treefort, Blue Sky.
Art's Cyclery
Biker Bob...Bike Bling, and Ribble
Of the retailers mentioned above that I've purchased from, I've had only good experiences.

Some of the greatest deals I've purchased at Price Point were too low to be matched by Tree Fort Bikes and not available at other places that price match, so sometimes they're just the best place for a specific deal. I understand I may be in the minority, and I have had to call Nashbar multiple times in the event of an issue with an order or product more than once, but I end up with a decent resolution when there is an issue, and Nashbar occasionally has some great deals I can't find elsewhere.

Back to Price Point, the stores above really make it clear that they need to sort some things out to keep their customers, because there are plenty of other options out there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It just blows my mind the way they did it though. As if they hoped no one would notice they sent out the email? It seemed like a week or so after that email I placed my order and found shipping charged in checkout. I emailed them, but it has been completely ignored with no response in weeks. So I just ordered my stuff somewhere else.
They have always been really good customer service for me in the past, but I wouldn't say they're always the best price. Lots of their stuff is way out of line, like apparel and tires.

So here's my message to PricePoint: Yeah, I noticed the email, even though you think you're in imaginary land and can just ignore that you sent it out. How about an apology email, or at the very least a retraction to clear up all the confusion??

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
After getting pricepoint emails forever, I looked into ordering pedals, shorts, shoes and a couple other little items.

Long story short I ended up going Amazon, Campmor, competetive cyclist and a few others based on Amazons prices or redirects. Then I found online coupons for 10% off campmor, free shipping from Amazon.

I think I saved 300 on a 685 order.

F**k pricepoint. I killed Universal deals too so whatever. Amazon and google are my friends. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
not to defend but i've always had good service from price point. Ordered a couple items the other night and forgot to add one item to my cart, emailed quickly in the morning asking them to add it to my order number (to avoid paying twice for shipping) and though it was last minute they still got it in. Fast shipping too for me. To each their own.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Save $100 Off Orders Of 600 Or More.....25$ Off Orders Of $200 Or More...

Thru Wednesday, 5/7/2014.

I've been eyeing a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pros a $499.

Think I'll wait a little longer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts