Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most website retailers say they'll price match. I, however, never price match. I figure, why hammer some online store that prices their product at X amount of dollars when I could just as easily buy it from the online store that advertises that price? Each store prices their products reflecting a bunch of factors, none of which I am privy to, but the price they advertise is the one they feel is necessary for them. You don't have to buy from that particular store. Why force them to match someone else's price? Just because you can?
I am very grateful for the opportunity to save money buying online (and yes I still support my LBS), but these folks can exist only if they can make a profit doing what they do. I say, ok, this store is selling this product at a price I like, I'll buy from them. Not, ok, now I'm going over to that store's site and make them match the other price. Am I the only one?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Two sides to that coin.

I will ask my favorite retailers if they can come close to a good price if I see a bunch of other retailers with the same item at lower prices.

If they have a price match that automates it, great.

If they say no, I may still order that part from them. There are some retailers that are great, and their service, inventory, and knowledge is worth paying extra. There are other retailers that are... um... well... you couldn't pay me to shop there.

Simply put it doesn't hurt to ask. I want to support those that I like. If they tell me no, I don't think less of them. I've had a local retailer tell me to go ahead and order parts online, one even pointed me to a Jenson-USA fork that was an incredible deal a while back... and he got the labor/installation charges when it was put on the bike.

JmZ

·
Registered
66 Posts
Coupon+Rebate+Pricematch=:thumbsup:

I fully encourage your efforts. The world needs more people like you who don't want a better deal. How else would companies afford to (quite often) pay me to take their products?:D

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Well.. The dollar rules.. Lets say you're buying 5 things from jenson... but pricepoint had one thing for cheaper. So you're nice and buy 4 things from jenson and pay shipping.. and one thing from pricepoint and pay shipping again. Well.. If you could have price matched it you may have saved over $10-20 in shipping depending on what it was.

I don't know about you but shipping adds up fast.. I like saving money where I can. Sure those companies are loosing a little money, but they most likely aren't. I'd be willing to bet the big online retailers are still making a premium on everything they sell.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
say what?

Minjin said:

I fully encourage your efforts. The world needs more people like you who don't want a better deal. How else would companies afford to (quite often) pay me to take their products?:D
How is ordering something from someone who has a lower price stated in their ad not going for the better deal? Please explain. My point is not forcing a retailer to match his price, not forcing myself to spend more.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here's a good point

ZoSoSwiM said:
Well.. The dollar rules.. Lets say you're buying 5 things from jenson... but pricepoint had one thing for cheaper. So you're nice and buy 4 things from jenson and pay shipping.. and one thing from pricepoint and pay shipping again. Well.. If you could have price matched it you may have saved over $10-20 in shipping depending on what it was.

I don't know about you but shipping adds up fast.. I like saving money where I can. Sure those companies are loosing a little money, but they most likely aren't. I'd be willing to bet the big online retailers are still making a premium on everything they sell.
I can see your point. I agree, shipping does add up. It's never clear from people over on "Where's The Best Deals" that they're asking for a price match for one thing on a big order, it always seems they see one thing and hammer someone else for that price. Still, I've never felt the need to force price matching. I've found some ridiculous deals on things that even with shipping I come out ahead ordering from the store advertising that low price.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
My take on price matching is that I'll buy from the guy who went to the effort to price his product lower in the first place rather than the guy who charges a higher price and will only lower it to match another competitor.

Now, if someone has a price match that beats (i.e. best price and 10% more) the lowest price, I'll take them up on that offer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
xcguy said:
How is ordering something from someone who has a lower price stated in their ad not going for the better deal? Please explain. My point is not forcing a retailer to match his price, not forcing myself to spend more.
Its already been explained above. What if shop 1 has higher shipping rates than shop 2? Or shop 2 is closer to you so you get your bike fix quicker for the same price? Or as just stated, if they have 110% price match?

I guess I'm confused as to what would an cause anti-pricematch rant. :confused:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
i don't often order parts online, but if i were to see an item i wanted advertised at a great price, but it is from a retailer with questionable service, i would likely get a more reputable seller to match the price.

I am a student, and a penny pincher. i don't usually go out of my way to "support" certain businesses at my expense.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been thinking about this

I like buying parts and frames and building up bikes. Money is an object to me as well as others here on this forum but I'm not a starving student, at least nowadays. I just remember back when there wasn't such a variety of online stores to "price shop" basically all there was was your LBS and the Supergo ads in Mountain Bike Action. Those Supergo ads always blew me away with the "real" price of bike parts so I'd mail order from them a lot.

Well, it's today and the consumer can just price shop/price match all day long. To me it's just a miracle of internet marketing that we have all these choices, but realize that a lot of bikers are growing up with this availability, like it's always been there. Whenever I cruise over to "Where Are The Best Deals" I hope to find a post about something I'm looking for so I can save some money. Whenever I hear "and then I price matched Jenson (or whoever) blah blah this and that happened..." I just cringe, but that's just me. I'm just happy as sh!t that I CAN cruise around the internet looking for great deals.

I also run my own small business and when a sub gives me his price I either accept his price or somebody elses, but I never hammer one guy to match the other guys. I just say yes or no. Really not the same as buying bike parts, but...

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
?????

Minjin said:

What?!?!?!? I want to save money wherever I can. Who doesn't want a better deal. If the store can't afford a pricematch feature, then they shouldn't have one. But hey, I am just you're average jerk, so don't listen to me.

Tim,
I actually don't consider myself as a jerk, but these stores are still gonna be making money on these deals, just not as much.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Free shipping...oh yeah

ZoSoSwiM said:
Hell, sometimes you get a free shipping, 25% off, with a free gift! Now thats sweet!
Online stores offering incentives like 10 or 15% off coupons or free shopping always get my attention. I feel lucky if I'm in the market for some part and can save that kind of dough. That's how I like to shop without feeling like I'm taking advantage of someone. Hey, they're offering me these discounts, why not?

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
If the company couldn't afford something why are they offering it. Thats my view on it. Some items are heavilly inflated some aren't.. the cheaper items don't bring in the big bucks for these places anyways.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Sometimes it's a matter of customer service. For example if one shop with known customer service issues has a lower price than than a store with good customer service I would rather have the shop with the good customer service match the price. I won't take chances with some store f-ing up my order then having to jump through hoops to get what I need.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Unknownrash said:
Sometimes it's a matter of customer service. For example if one shop with known customer service issues has a lower price than than a store with good customer service I would rather have the shop with the good customer service match the price. I won't take chances with some store f-ing up my order then having to jump through hoops to get what I need.
agreed. in fact, price matches can be a good thing when it comes to customer service. i notice a lot of shady dealers (in any retail business, not just mtb) advertise their prices lower than everyone else in hopes of attracting enough business to cover their losses due to poor service. volume over quality.

me, when i find a dealer (or seller on ebay) that i like, i hope that they can match the price (or come close) of the jerk whos advertising the product for lower. i *want* to give my business to better dealers, and pricematching sometimes makes it easier to do so.

also, if youve ever worked in retail, you know that the markup on prices can sometimes be huge. sometimes its nice to cut that down a little now and then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.