Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm going to be on vacation in Big Sur in 3 weeks and would like to ride the Prewitt singletrack if possible. Never done it before. Has anyone ridden this lately? Should I expect a lot of downed trees? Is it covered in snow? No idea what conditions are like there at this time of year.

Also, I'm not sure whether to do this route solo, or take my wife along, or maybe both on separate days. She's an intermediate rider picking her confidence back up after an injury. She likes buff singletrack and nice scenery (Auburn, Boggs). She does not enjoy hike-a-bike, cliffside exposure, eroded off-camber, watching me stare at compasses and maps because the trail disappeared, etc. I really don't want to get her in over her head right at this juncture. I do want to inspire her with a great ride if possible.

A few more questions:

1) If doing this as a loop, is it best to ride North-South or South-North?

2) Is there any merit in doing an out-and-back from one side instead of the full loop? I've read some worrying reports about miles of hike-a-bike with badly eroded cliffside trail, etc. Can that part be avoided while still enjoying the best ridable singletrack? Maybe I could plan a shorter ride with my wife on one day, and do the full loop solo another day.

3) How hard is it to follow the trail? I've heard of hikers getting lost up there but I think that was before the recent maintenance. Are there any particular tough spots I should know about? Is this one of those 'only go with someone who knows' rides?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Andy

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It was a few years ago that my wife and I went down there and we were shown this trail by the CCCMB locals. It's great!!!

We did each end as an out and back, on two days, and skipped the middle. The middle section is notorious as you've heard as well. I only glimpsed it from the sides. I would like to see what it is all about one day.

From my experience I would say going clockwise would be best as the sketchy upper section on the south end is more fun for descending. The latter being a being a tough technical climb. The climbing on the north section was easier, I thought.

Hopefully someone will chime in here pretty soon and fill us all in on how the trail is doing and what the middle is like these days.

This trail is one of extreme beauty. I need to go back.

I would have to expect a bunch of trees down over it. There was fire since I was there, and that must have had a huge impact as well. The trail had many overgrade sections which would readily erode without regular maintenance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never done the whole loop, but just an out an back on each side is plenty challenging. I would say take her on the north side first, it is a bit nicer to ride - but treat it more like an adventure where hike a bike and clearing branches and small trees (makes the trip down much nicer) will happen. Bring a small saw.

This is probably best place to find current trail info. http://www.ventanawild.org/forum08/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=195

I am sure if you email the CCCMB group someone might have GPS tracks.

Have fun!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the information! 'A trail of extreme beauty' is a compelling phrase, really looking forward to this. So we'll plan an out-and-back on the North side to start with. We'll be in the area for several days. Pictures to follow in a few weeks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
We made this amateur movie of our Prewitt Loop ride a few weeks ago.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=189309421100806&oid=168635209819564&comments

Doing the whole loop is extremely arduous. There are lots of ticks, poison oak and brushy sections. The trail is actually not that hard to follow, somebody has flagged the trail in many key spots so you know that you're on the trail.I t would be helpful to have a water filter along as well.

The middle section is especially brutal, it's very overgrown and it climbs a lot in the clockwise direction. There are some beautiful spots along the way.

From the North side you can get to Prewitt ridge which is a lot nicer than the Prewitt loop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.