Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the average markup on a bike is? With the 2012 in stores now shops are starting to discount leftover 2010s and 2011s and the pricing is all over the place. How does one determine what is a "sale" and what is a "steal"?

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Does anyone know what the average markup on a bike is? With the 2012 in stores now shops are starting to discount leftover 2010s and 2011s and the pricing is all over the place. How does one determine what is a "sale" and what is a "steal"?
You're the only one judging it....

But I'd say $800 off a $2 000 is a sale and $1 200 off a $2 000 is a steal... Anything around 30% is sale and over 50% is a steal.

David

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
David is dead on

And I'll take it one more, and that since you'll be the one determining what a good deal or a steal is, make sure it's the right bike for your intended purpose. Getting a DH bike at 70% off list may be a steal, but a very smart buy if you're an XC racer. :D

I'm the consummate bargain hunter, and i picked up a leftover 2009 Fuji Outland Pro for $1100.00. It was spec'd very well, and was perfect for the type of riding I do. I did swap out the shifters and R/D, and my net up-cost was about $50.00. From my perspective, it was not only a steal, but a smart buy.

Don't get too hung up on "original price" so much is what you're paying for what you're getting in the overall bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I'll take it one more, and that since you'll be the one determining what a good deal or a steal is, make sure it's the right bike for your intended purpose. Getting a DH bike at 70% off list may be a steal, but a very smart buy if you're an XC racer. :D

I'm the consummate bargain hunter, and i picked up a leftover 2009 Fuji Outland Pro for $1100.00. It was spec'd very well, and was perfect for the type of riding I do. I did swap out the shifters and R/D, and my net up-cost was about $50.00. From my perspective, it was not only a steal, but a smart buy.

Don't get too hung up on "original price" so much is what you're paying for what you're getting in the overall bike.
Good advice! I should have included a little more information in my first post. I have a heavily upgraded 2004 Stumpjumper that I love and recently found a 2008 Stumpjumper carbon frame at a bike shop looking to unload it quick. It would just be a matter of moving all the components from the old frame to the new one. Then have it marked down 20 percent but are willing to entertain offers. I don't want to offend them but I don't want to pay anymore then I have to either:D

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Don't expect it to be as simple as you think. Even the same make and model bike will have a few standards change over four years.

That said, offer them about 60% of retail, and see if they take it. At worst, they'll say "no." Up to you to decide how high it's worthwhile for you to go.

Something I'd be a little nervous about is fork compatibility - will the one you have now move over? Do you care? Travel amount a frame is built around changes over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.