Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my bike that came with a Fox Float fork with 15mm thru axle. I'm seeing that the thru axle can be easily cross threaded with the axle nut. The nut retainer allows the nut to tilt when I attempt to thread the axle in, unless I hold the nut flush with my other hand. Has anyone come up with a scheme that keeps the axle nut flat in its socket? I tried some washers under the existing nut retainer, but wasn't able to come up with a combination that held the nut flat.

Or is having to hold the nut flat with your other hand what everyone does?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Doesn't really sound like it is much of a problem.....if it were....everyone would be on here b!tching about it.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I just shove my axle in and start turning. Never really checked to see if the nut is moving or tilting, but haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, when I shove the axle in and start turning, it starts to cross thread and locks up. I've filed the threads a bit to clean them up. If I hold the nut flat it threads in fine. I'll go back to where I bought the bike from and ask for a replacement axle.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Well, when I shove the axle in and start turning, it starts to cross thread and locks up. I've filed the threads a bit to clean them up. If I hold the nut flat it threads in fine. I'll go back to where I bought the bike from and ask for a replacement axle.
Once you slightly mess up the threads, then you will probably continue to have problems.
You might want to get a new axle and a new nut.

As far as ideas for keeping the nut flat, you could try a dab of silicone on the back of the nut. That should hold it in place but still allow you to pry it out if you ever need to.

·
rzip
80 Posts
Possibly the small screw that holds the nut is too long and not holding the nut in securely, allowing it to move around when you push the axle against it. On my fork, the nut is solid in the fork when the axle is removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts