Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Scott Scale 29er. I was pedaling pretty hard on some steep climbs and I heard a loud click (not good) and the pedals jumped forward in the stroke. Then it wouldn't engage until about halfway through the pedal stroke.

So I kept riding on it (probably a bad idea on my part), and got another click. After this one it wouldn't even engage. I spin the pedals and nothing happens.

I haven't taken it apart yet, and I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Should I just get a new rear wheel, or can I just get a hub, or am I going to need a new cassette and wheel? I'm pretty sure it's the shimano M525 hub and just their deore level cassette

If I do need new stuff, any input on some durable stuff would be great.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've killed a handful of XT's and a Deore in way too short a time. I'm thankful for the mechanical experience gained from having to tear them apart and fixing or trying to fix them but in the end, if you are a high enough torque rider to kill one, it will happen again soon. You can grab a new freehub body for $20-$30 but if you shredded the star flange (or whatever it's called) on the main body of the hub where the freehub body meets the hub shell, you are SOL. Fedex is dropping off a Hadley Wheelset for me on Tuesday. We'll see how strong they are. No more messing around.

I blew my first Shimano 2.5 miles into my first time on Slick Rock. It was a damn shame watching everyone hooting and hollering as I walked out without even warming up. Never again!

I've been beating on a DT Swiss 340 for a while now that is holding up quite well. Anything but those POS Shimanos.

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Just replaced my freehub the other night. Pretty straightforward, took about an hour and the freehub only ran me $40. You can find them cheaper online, but my LBS was quicker. For the 525, the original part number is Y-3A3 98020.

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
OK I'm going to jack the thread but since we're on the subject...

Does anyone know of any aftermarket companies that make replacement freehubs for the 525, especially in lighter aluminum? I'm looking to lighten things up a bit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
or just a stronger freehub?

Not sure what is wrong yet, I've been to busy to check it out. I'll probably take it into the shop later this week.

Any more input on durable/stong rear hubs?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Not aware of any aftermarket Shimano compatible freehub bodies. And to my current knowledge the stronger "29er" freehub bodies on the M529, M629, and M665 hubs are not compatible with the M525 or M756 hubs.

As far as stronger hubs...how much do you want to spend?

Cheap...Shimano M529 (6 bolt, 16 engagement points) or M629 (centerlock, 32 engagement points)
Not Cheap...Hope, DT, Hadley, King

·
EDR
10,295 Posts
Any more input on durable/stong rear hubs?
Hope, Hadley, Chris King come to mind. Prices of these range from around $200 to $500....not incuding the wheel, spokes and labor, lol.

FWIW I trashed two xt freehub bodies before switching to Hope Pro2. Haven't had a problem in 2.5 years on this hub now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts