Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Pandapas on Monday and Carvins Cove on Tuesday, and the conditions were a lot of fun. With the cold temps, the ground was mostly frozen, so mud was a rather minor issue.

At Pandapas, I rode Poverty Creek and the the Gap side trails (to the end of Trillium). PC has gotten a lot of hiking and XC skiing traffic, so it was packed down and icy in most places, but still ride-able. The Gap side trails were almost totally clear. It was like someone shoveled and cleaned a 1' wide path through all of it. Ran into one other guy and we rode the Gap side. If you are reading this, Z, thanks for waiting at the top of all the hills.

Carvin's Cove looked like it had gotten almost no traffic (judging from tracks in the snow), though I ran into three other riders that day. Songbird was very clean up until it crosses the Tunnel road, and after that it was indistinguishable from the surrounding snow except for one set of boot tracks. That was pretty hard going. Basically, on the south faces the trails were clear (like Pandapas, a clear path through the snow) and on the north faces they were all snow. That made riding Arrowhead a blast because the climbs were mostly clear and the descents were in snow. I'm pretty sure I was the first to ride it, as there were only animal tracks in the snow.

As long as the temps stay below freezing, the riding is wide open as far as I am concerned. I noticed this weekend has predicted highs below freezing, so it should be very good riding conditions with very little (if any) mud. Once the temps get into the 30's and 40's it is going to be pretty bad, though.

So get out the warm clothes and hit it this weekend while you can!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was thinking about going out today. maybe doing a DH run with my big bike.

Pedaling is not out of the question either. Give me a shout next time you head out.

:thumbsup:

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt 891 said:
I was thinking about going out today. maybe doing a DH run with my big bike.

Pedaling is not out of the question either. Give me a shout next time you head out.

:thumbsup:
I would have liked to get out today, but with highs in the 40's I figured it would be pretty sloppy.

I'm not sure whether or not I will be in town this weekend, but if I am I will definitely drop you a line about riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Trails have been good but the fire roads to the trails are awful. I have ridden Songbird, Trough and Gauntlet all are good just hard to get to, had to plow thru snow or push the bike. The snow is still very deep on top of Brushy. Songbird had a few muddy spots, Trough and Gauntlet almost no mud, just some snow. Gauntlet had very deep snow where the old trail meets the new trail. Lots of bear tracks on the fire road on Sat and Sun.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark_123 said:
Trails have been good but the fire roads to the trails are awful. I have ridden Songbird, Trough and Gauntlet all are good just hard to get to, had to plow thru snow or push the bike. The snow is still very deep on top of Brushy. Songbird had a few muddy spots, Trough and Gauntlet almost no mud, just some snow. Gauntlet had very deep snow where the old trail meets the new trail. Lots of bear tracks on the fire road on Sat and Sun.
Interesting, I found most of Happy Valley road to be pretty fun. Only had to push through one section near the old beach. Makes a big difference what day you went. Sonds like you went a couple of days before me. Of course anything either of us encountered is pretty irrelevant by now, anyway.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
Man,I sure would love to get down there and ride em,myself! Sounds like fun :thumbsup:
Looks like it'll be a month or 3 before I can make the drive down tho. :madman:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was on Happy Valley on Monday. Just got back from the Cove today. Went up Trough, then took fire road over to Gauntlet went down, across Horse pen then up Trough and then down. Last snow has not melted on these trails and Trough and Gauntlet were in worse shape today, more snow and ice some soft spots also. Worst part is trying to get from Trough over to Gauntlet as much as 8 inches of ice and snow in places but it is worth it when you get to go down Gauntlet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
kapusta said:
I went out to Pandapas on Monday and Carvins Cove on Tuesday, and the conditions were a lot of fun. With the cold temps, the ground was mostly frozen, so mud was a rather minor issue.

At Pandapas, I rode Poverty Creek and the the Gap side trails (to the end of Trillium). PC has gotten a lot of hiking and XC skiing traffic, so it was packed down and icy in most places, but still ride-able. The Gap side trails were almost totally clear. It was like someone shoveled and cleaned a 1' wide path through all of it. Ran into one other guy and we rode the Gap side. If you are reading this, Z, thanks for waiting at the top of all the hills.

Carvin's Cove looked like it had gotten almost no traffic (judging from tracks in the snow), though I ran into three other riders that day. Songbird was very clean up until it crosses the Tunnel road, and after that it was indistinguishable from the surrounding snow except for one set of boot tracks. That was pretty hard going. Basically, on the south faces the trails were clear (like Pandapas, a clear path through the snow) and on the north faces they were all snow. That made riding Arrowhead a blast because the climbs were mostly clear and the descents were in snow. I'm pretty sure I was the first to ride it, as there were only animal tracks in the snow.

As long as the temps stay below freezing, the riding is wide open as far as I am concerned. I noticed this weekend has predicted highs below freezing, so it should be very good riding conditions with very little (if any) mud. Once the temps get into the 30's and 40's it is going to be pretty bad, though.

So get out the warm clothes and hit it this weekend while you can!!
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how the trails were my self. What size tires were you running? Do you have a special setup for winter riding?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gmeover said:
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how the trails were my self. What size tires were you running? Do you have a special setup for winter riding?
I'm not running anything different right now that I normally would. Nevegal 2.2 in the front and Conti Mountain King 2.2 in the rear or a rigid 29er bike. Both have respectable knobs on them, though I am not too thrilled with the MK overall. I think some sticky tires might help, and I'm sure studs would have been great on the ice. I run the pressure pretty low and I think that helps. With these conditions I am not riding too aggressively, so I can go lower on the pressure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, you were right about the trails being better. I tried last Sat (12/26) not near as good. Today I rode Songbird both directions and Trough both directions. Good riding overall, lots of snow and ice on far side of Songbird. Only problem was my equipment, water hose froze so no water to drink and front derailleur froze stuck. Wasn't too bad didn't really need water and stuck in the 32t so it was okay. I wanted to use the 44t on the road to the lot. Tree down on Trough today just past where the horse trail branches off. Only 21 degrees when I started then the winds picked up when I was going up the Trough.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark_123 said:
Thanks, you were right about the trails being better. I tried last Sat (12/26) not near as good. Today I rode Songbird both directions and Trough both directions. Good riding overall, lots of snow and ice on far side of Songbird. Only problem was my equipment, water hose froze so no water to drink and front derailleur froze stuck. Wasn't too bad didn't really need water and stuck in the 32t so it was okay. I wanted to use the 44t on the road to the lot. Tree down on Trough today just past where the horse trail branches off. Only 21 degrees when I started then the winds picked up when I was going up the Trough.
I ran into the same problem with my rear derailleur on Tuesday. My rear cable runs underneath the bb and it got all iced up.

I am planning on trying to go out tomorrow (Sun, 1/3) and it will be a lot colder than the last time I was out. I don't think the cables icing up will be as much of a problem because I don't think there will be much water to get sprayed onto them to start with. However, I know from past experience that I have to drink some water every 15 minutes or so to keep the water hose from freezing up.

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
For cable runs under the BB that freeze-clean well 1st.
2nd-get some old school lube-the Finishline Cross Country Wet-it is thick and green.
3rd drip a bunch on the offendeing part-and cycle the cables back and forth-then drip more!
Not "green" i know-but it stops the problem. Other lubes may work too-this was always what worked back in the day-mud,snow,ice,crap,etc!!
Im jealous-i want to ride,but fell on my ass on ice-now no bike seat possible!
Bz

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went out today (1-4-10) and it was great! I would guess it was in the low to mid 20's. All the mud is totally frozen, so as long as you are careful going through the streams (I walked all of them to keep my feet dry) you won't get wet or muddy, and that makes a big difference staying warm. I was very comfortable warmth-wise the whole time. The ice is a little bad on a few parts of the fire road (Happy Valley), but not on the trails, for the most part. I rode Songbird > Arrowhead > Happy Valley > Schoolhouse > Little Bell > both sections of Enchanted Forrest > Happy Valley back to the gate.

I though about trying 1000 Foot Climb, but took one look and decided against it:

This is what a bit of Happy Valley was like. Very icy, but rough enough that knobbies at low pressure would grip OK if you did not make any sudden turns or stops.

This pic from Songbird is what most of the trails were like:

Some trails were still covered, and the tracks already there are icy ruts.

It could be a real pain to ride in them, and often I found it easier to ride through the snow off the trail instead. It was pretty firm and crusty, so you can really ride anywhere you want. On a few sections of Arrowhead I rode down hills with little regard for where the actual trail was.

Little Bell:

I only busted @ss once on a very large, smooth patch of ice on Happy Valley. There were some tricky sections that flooded and froze between Arrowhead and the far end of Schoolhouse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice pics, I couldn't ride last night. Front suspension stuck and lagging. Got home and thawed out the bike and working fine now. It was on the back of my car at work all day yesterday. Oil may be getting thick or air pressure changing due to the cold? I will try keeping it inside until I head to the trail today. I need to get my SS rigid running so I don't have to worry about suspension and derailleurs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Made it out today and completed the lower loop at CC.

Very fun and challenging conditions!! attempting to stay in icy ruts while pedaling was no easy task.

I also had a wreck on a giant sheet of ice on the fireroad. I had just came off of Arrowhead and successfully navigated a very large sheet of ice on that trail. Perhaps I was a bit cocky.

I guess i wasnt over the top of my tires exactly perfect. My bike slid out from underneath me and I landed on my right leg faster than any fall I have ever experienced. Gravity seemed to be pulling harder than normal.

I had fun! Dont let the cold worry you. My ears were cold the first 2 minutes of the ride and by the end only my right middle finger was numb along with some cold toes.

get out there before the warming starts next week. The trails will be HORRIBLE when this occurs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trough / 4 wheeler

I made it out last Sat with intentions of doing Trough up to Gaulent. I made it to the fire road and decided to shesh the Trough. Mainly clear, good frozen ground conditions = very fast. Some of the take offs were crunchy snowyish but the landings were ok. The second gap has a tree down after it so land and start breaking, this one will need a saw. I did see tracks from a 4 wheeler that went all the way up to the fire road. I have noticed this before recently and may be an issue as the tracks also go over the lip of the jumps and the fact the are not suppose to be there:nono: . I believe the guy parks at the bottom of the old re-routed Trough and takes that to the intersetion of the old/new and continues up onto the Trough. Red Toyota maybe? Anyway it was better than expected and again was pretty fast.

rb

·
Registered
211 Posts
boush said:
I made it out last Sat with intentions of doing Trough up to Gaulent. I made it to the fire road and decided to shesh the Trough. Mainly clear, good frozen ground conditions = very fast. Some of the take offs were crunchy snowyish but the landings were ok. The second gap has a tree down after it so land and start breaking, this one will need a saw. I did see tracks from a 4 wheeler that went all the way up to the fire road. I have noticed this before recently and may be an issue as the tracks also go over the lip of the jumps and the fact the are not suppose to be there:nono: . I believe the guy parks at the bottom of the old re-routed Trough and takes that to the intersetion of the old/new and continues up onto the Trough. Red Toyota maybe? Anyway it was better than expected and again was pretty fast.

rb
the guy going up the trough I'm 99% sure lives right there in the last few houses, if not the last house on your left...

the guy with the trailer and toyota parking off to the left side I'm positive I heard him one night coming down from the other ridge line where the power lines are, I don't think he's going up in the cove, but he could be. At any rate, they are going right over the lips and it is killing them....

We can dig the backside of them down so they can't go up them.

Loving those snow pics Kapusta!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts