Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after browsing these forums for some time and realizing how awesome of a sport this is I took a bit of time to save some money and purchased a Giant Reign 2. I really didn't have much biking experience before. I did have a Kona that I used 5 times in the past 10 years but again rarely used it.

I was biking a ton and fell in absolute love with mountain biking. Fast forward 2 months later which was 2 weeks ago and someone broke into my garage and stole my bike ending any biking I will be doing for quite some time as there is no way I will have an extra 2000 to buy a bike in the near future.

The thing that bothers me is I am a police officer in the town where I live and being a victim to these people who I help every shift I put on my uniform and protect these people day in and day out.

I do realize bikes are stolen every day but it seems it ended a new passion that I had. For those of you wondering about insurance they are only offering me 300 dollars after a 1000 deductible.
Thanks for listening guys and gals. Have fun riding and lock up your bikes.
Ryan

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's damn shame. Was the garage locked? People suck. I'm sure you'll keep an extra eye out whiles on partol. I hope you find it when you least expect it.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,873 Posts
sketchy insurance company is sketchy.

that really sucks, OP. I hope you can find a way to handle this situation.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That sucks! I can't stand thieves. A fellow worker had his giant reign 2 stolen a few weeks ago. He is in the same boat. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a LEO myself, I feel your pain. I had my truck broken into a few months back. It puts things into a new perspective for me. I no longer show up to a similar call with an attitude that I'm waisting my time. I can now see how those folks are feeling and how demoralizing it is and how helpless and vicimized a person feels.

My x wife would laugh at me for locking the truck when I parked in the garage, but it's reasons like this that I did it and wouldnt store anything valuable in there. Garage doors are pretty easy to break into.

When you are able to get another ride, you might consider andchoring an eye bolt or something into the floor to run a cable lock through......or locking it up to something else not easily movable.

That's a pretty sorry thing for somebody to do, sucks your inssurance isnt doing anything worth while. Hope you can grab some OT or something and beable to get back into the sport soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think insurance company executives are the lowest of low. We pay them billions but they welch on you the minute you need a hand.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Sorry about your situation . . . it blows. Now might be a good time to revise your insurance policy. I've been the victim of bike theft as well and while it worked out well for me in the end, it still sucked. Nobody says you have to ride a $2K bike though. If insurance is offering you $300, take it and hit your LBS. Tell them what happened and see what they can work out. You obviously won't get a replacement for $300, but my first MTB was a discounted Gary Fisher that I rode the crap out of.

Or better yet, take the 3 hundo, dust of the kona, give it some love/updates and ride the **** outta it until you get the scratch together for another bomber.

Note to all those reading: This is why you get a "replacement cost" policy and not a "depreciated value" policy. Yes the ARC policies are more expensive, but when faced with something like this, you'll be glad you have it.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
This is how those nasty insurance company executives welched on me when I needed a hand:
Nice . . . way to rub it in for the OP. I'm sure he feels better now knowing that you got a multi-thousand dollar bike out of your insurance company. :rolleyes:

·
Andrew
197 Posts
OP, sucks about the bike loss. I've had bikes stolen before, it blows.

I do have to agree with MC here though, it's all about understanding your insurance and deductibles. You chose that coverage, so don't go blaming the insurance company for only giving you 30% of the bikes value.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro... I had my car broken into and some dear stuff stolen. More than the actual value of the stolen stuff, the worst issue was feeling so violated, knowing that the thief was going through my stuff and my car, for hours (overnight). What a low, low way to make some money off of other peoples hard earned possessions... Good luck and hopefully you find a way to get another bike. Not riding sucks even more...

·
Registered
331 Posts
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. My gf had her bike stolen the night after I finished tuning it up - new pedals, grips, saddle, adjusted the shift, brakes... everything.

As far as insurance goes, as an insurance agent, this is a great example of why you want to schedule items like that an expensive bicycle. You could have paid $0 deductible and received $2k for the bike. Even if your policy had replacement cost instead of actual cash value you'd still be getting only $1k for the bike. Just an FYI.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Not rubbing anything in, just giving an example that refutes blueliner's simplistic "insurance companies screw everyone" pap.

EDIT: and for the hilarious neg repper who thinks that I must have "sucked my agents[sic] dick" please keep your fantasies to yourself. BTW, I don't have an insurance agent.

Understanding your coverage and being able to document your ownership is key to any successful claim. Insurance policies are merely contracts after all. If you think that an insurance company is welching on their obligations, there are many resources (state regulators, non-profits, etc.) that can assist you.
For the record, that was not me.

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
Note to all those reading: This is why you get a "replacement cost" policy and not a "depreciated value" policy. Yes the ARC policies are more expensive, but when faced with something like this, you'll be glad you have it.
You should add that when you have "replacement cost" insurance, the agents strongly suggest that you give them an itemized list as proof of what you had... Also helps if someone finds stolen items and you can prove it was yours because both you and your agent have things like model/serial numbers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
bummer your bike was taken,
best of luck
maybe you still have the kona to ride

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Thieves suck. Losing a bike sucks. Not being able to ride sucks.

I can't see this as a 100% "sketchy insurance" company though. If the OP had a policy for depreciated value rather than replacement cost (and $1k deductible), I can see why he is only entitled to $300.

Still a sh|tty situation but there's no sense in blaming the insurance company.
+1

Sucks the bike was stolen dude.
Hope you catch the f*cker who stole it.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Sucks about the theft, make sure you query you're scrote bag agent about why he did not line you out on the nuances of your coverage. That is his job, however most agents act like they are doing you a favor by talking to you, and they wonder why ins. agents are held in such esteem. That or hold a blow torch to his testicles for grins.

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,497 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.I hope losing one bike wont end your passion,maybe just postpone it a little.

Perhaps you could post a BOLO (be on the lookout) thread in your regional forum.I think most of us here look at just about every bike we come across when were out n about.We have lots of eyes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts