Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I have been talking about different tires...talking about all this higher-level stuff for a newb...and I just realized today out on the trail I am not super familar with my own Presta valves!!

I have a floor tire pump with both schrader and presta valve options...and while I feel like I can pump up my tires just fine...for whatever reason I am not getting a very accurate or correct reading on the pumps PSI gauge.

A similar thing happened to me today on the trail...with my mini-pump...it wasn't really reading PSI pressure, and I really had to do trial and error to know I was putting air in the damn tire.

Am I doing something wrong?

Aren't Presta valves supposed to be unscrewed some...then the pump pressed over them firmly, then start pumping? Or should I not be unscrewing the tab so much?

Just makes me mad I can't seem to get any accurate PSI reading on either pump... :madman:

Just when I thought I was out of the dark...the noob comes right back to me! Haha

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
eh--i just unscre em all the way--some pumps have a lever you have to have in the lock position. but if you are getting air into d tire I guess ur doing all that ok. Tire pump guages are very finicky and often I've had the same problems. By feel now I seem to get a pretty accurate idea of what the difference is between 35 and 40 PSI and 85 and 100 PSI.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm...I wonder if buying a digital pressure gauge like I use on my truck would help...I think I saw one you could buy for both schrader and presta valves...might give me a more accurate reading...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is true...but I also just like having gadgets for my bike...haha...I will make it a game time decision on the gauge when I order my new tires this afternoon...still weighing all my options...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I haven't had a problem getting pressure readings from my (Giant brand) floor pump, but yeah can't use one of those manual pressure gagues (like for cars) even with a presta to schrader adaptor on the valve.

Thinking about getting a Topeak Smarthead digital one myself, but my Husband would probably pinch it & use it for the car!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Topeak is the same exact one I was looking at.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
energetix said:
I haven't had a problem getting pressure readings from my (Giant brand) floor pump, but yeah can't use one of those manual pressure gagues (like for cars) even with a presta to schrader adaptor on the valve.

Thinking about getting a Topeak Smarthead digital one myself, but my Husband would probably pinch it & use it for the car!

I have one of those. It rocks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I ended up ordering one today with some bike store credit I had - I may give it to my Husband as a condition I get to use it on the bike (means he has to leave it in an accessible place to save looking through his tools!).

Only thing I didn't really look into is the reading capability psi wise? Suppose it's 0 - 200psi in 1psi graduations or something like that?

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I've got a relatively inexpensive Serfas gauge that works fairly well. I find it easiest to back the presta nut off a fair bit before trying to fill or get a reading. Make sure that when you get a "good" pressure in the tires that you check the feel....it'll make it easier for later when you might let air out at the trail head and put some back in for the run back home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.