Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 29er came with Presta valves instead of the old school schrader valves that were on all my older bikes. I understand that they hold air better, but I'm having a hard time getting them filled up with either my bike pump, or my air compressor. I have the small aluminum converter that screws into the pump, but there always seems to be air escaping on both tires, no matter how hard I push it down. So, I can't get an accurate gauge on my tire pressure, and it's driving me crazy. I know this seems like a stupid question, but is there a trick to these valves? I simply unscrew the valve stem, press down my gauge to pump air, and close the valve to clamp onto the valve stem. Am I missing something? :confused:

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disregard. Complete newbie mistake. I threaded the valve adapter into the pump and tried to push down on the valve stem, instead of threading the adapter onto the valve stem and pumping the tire up like a schrader valve. In the process, I might have screwed up my cheap electric pump. Oh well, lesson learned. Bought a floor pump this afternoon anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.