Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Snow Dog
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this might need to be moved to wheels, but IDK...

anywho,

I can't stand presta valves. Don't see the point, and they are always a hassle for me to deal with on the trail. I am thinking of taking the plunge into tubeless this summer, and was wondering if you can do tubeless with schrader valves.

Why even use presta? Schrader seems like a more sure bet...have always had Schrader on my BMX's....

AM i just being a whiney byotch?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,474 Posts
AM i just being a whiney byotch?
more or less.

I've used presta for most of the past 20yrs because that's what my rims were drilled for. not enough hassle with them worth drilling them bigger for schraeder so I can have a different set of hassles.

They're just valves.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,325 Posts
You're not the only one. I don't mind them because airing up every ride isn't a huge deal for me, and they save a few grams, but schrader's certainly hold air much better. I don't think there are any tubeless schrader options though.

·
Snow Dog
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're not the only one. I don't mind them because airing up every ride isn't a huge deal for me, and they save a few grams, but schrader's certainly hold air much better. I don't think there are any tubeless schrader options though.
hmmm...many of my biker friends have told me that Presta's hold air better, usually ending with "that is why real bikers use Presta"...

·
Snow Dog
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more or less.

I've used presta for most of the past 20yrs because that's what my rims were drilled for. not enough hassle with them worth drilling them bigger for schraeder so I can have a different set of hassles.

They're just valves.
Yeah, the drilling thing would be a bit of an issue, but in the end, not as much as dicking with the little stopper on the valve that sometimes does or does not fit in the pump correctly, or then dicking with trying to screw it back in with cold, numb, wet, dirty fingers while all of the air I just put in comes back out...or losing the little presta to schrader converter piece...

lots of whining!! ;)

·
orthonormal
4,927 Posts
hmmm...many of my biker friends have told me that Presta's hold air better, usually ending with "that is why real bikers use Presta"...
Presta valves hold higher pressures better. It matters on road bikes but either is fine for MTB.

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Yeah, the drilling thing would be a bit of an issue, but in the end, not as much as dicking with the little stopper on the valve that sometimes does or does not fit in the pump correctly, or then dicking with trying to screw it back in with cold, numb, wet, dirty fingers while all of the air I just put in comes back out...or losing the little presta to schrader converter piece...

lots of whining!! ;)
Drilling is quick and easy, and then you can mooch off of anyone or score an emergency tube at any Sprawlmart, etc.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts

lots of whining!! ;)
Whoa. I had to stop and take a deep breath in the middle just to get through this. I think you would benefit from one too. In through the nose, hold, out through the mouth. Feel better now?

·
Registered
121 Posts
One benefit to presta is that drilled hole is smaller making for a stronger rim...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
31,474 Posts

lots of whining!! ;)
meh

·
Cycologist
7,553 Posts
I like Presta better, maybe. My first mountain bike way back had Schrader valves and the tube would rotate around inside the wheel, putting the valve at an angle and eventually straining and ripping the tube. With the nut on the Presta valves, never had that problem. Now maybe I needed to baby powder the tube and obviously that's not an issue with tubeless and I know a lot of Presta users don't use the nut, but it did solve my problem.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah I don’t think It has anything to do with pressure. Shocks have schrader valves and can hold over 250 psi.

I don’t have any problem using presta valves and even have used them on rims drilled for schrader just because those are the tubes I have.

The only downfall is that I have on 2 occasions broken the cable off with a pump being jam fisted when I was in a rush.

And as stated above yes Stan’s has schrader tubeless valves but they are only 32mm so might be a little short depending on your rim.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,142 Posts
I’ve always used Presta and I once special ordered some Mavic rims and they came drilled for Schrader. I had to buy insert sleeves to take up the extra space for Presta. No big deal but I was surprised they came predrilled that way and I wasn’t asked or given an option upon ordering them.

897D5250-A126-4A1E-BCF6-45A04ABE4FE2.jpeg

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
. With the nut on the Presta valves, never had that problem.
FYI - you can get Schrader valved tubes where the valve stems are threaded on the outside and come with a lock-ring also. I used to use them for DH; definitely helped keep things in place when running low pressures>

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I will probably drill out the rims on my mtb for Schrader valves when I need to remove my tires next. I don't see any reason to keep prestas other than the availability of valves and that rims are always drilled for them. I'll keep my presta tubeless valves around

1 - 20 of 164 Posts