Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I know there is a lot of debate out there on Presta value caps (are they necessary, etc), but I love them and use them on all of my bikes.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend where one can go to buy a bulk supply of plastic presta valve caps? I bought a bunch before (multi coloured) on Amazon but I can no longer source the seller. I see lots of aluminum ones on ebay and a couple of plastic ones, but they seem super expensive. Anyway, looking for a source for a bulk order of plastic multicolor presta caps if anyone can suggest.

Also, looking for some of the presta lock nut that secures it close to the rim. Anyone know a source to buy these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I picked up my bike from a shop in San Diego and the Presta caps were missing. I was surprised because it’s my bike and my stuff. So I asked about it and one of the mechanics said “they aren’t needed.”

So I asked him why they are still on every @#$%^&* new bike you are selling in your @#$%^&*[email protected]#$%%^ shop?

So he went back and found some and handed them to me.

I then drove to a favorite diner, sat at the counter, and “enjoyed my coffee.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
I would go to a bike shop and ask, there's a good chance that they might hook you up with a few dozen of them for free or cheap. I personally don't use them and when I worked at shops most of the mechanics benches had a jar full on them.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I always use them because I don't want dirt to cause the valve to not seal properly.
Imagine the valve stem covered in mud, imagine you had one too many puncture on your tubeless tires and need to inflate the tire, imagine how the valve stem and core covered in mud will make your job easier :D.
I got a pack of 10 made of aluminum for one or two euros couple years back.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hey folks!

I know there is a lot of debate out there on Presta value caps (are they necessary, etc), but I love them and use them on all of my bikes.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend where one can go to buy a bulk supply of plastic presta valve caps? I bought a bunch before (multi coloured) on Amazon but I can no longer source the seller. I see lots of aluminum ones on ebay and a couple of plastic ones, but they seem super expensive. Anyway, looking for a source for a bulk order of plastic multicolor presta caps if anyone can suggest.

Also, looking for some of the presta lock nut that secures it close to the rim. Anyone know a source to buy these?

Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/i/202048720056...5%26rvr_ts%3D1c8f91a916a0a8842ab2ccb9ffad01d7

Or just ask every bike shop in your area if you can have a few that are lying around, you should end up with a handful.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
I use them only on my mtbs to prevent twigs/branches (prevalent in my riding area) frame breaking or bending the poppet. For the fashion conscious, transparent caps (Specialized) are less conspicuous.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,535 Posts
I don't have a problem with the aluminum ones...add a TINY amount of grease to the inner threads to keep 'em moving freely.

These are still overpriced and I think just getting 'em at a shop as suggested above is best, but here are some on amazon if ebay's not your thing and you wanna do matchy matchy colors.
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Presta-Valve-Count-Bubble/dp/B07DP7KFZ9

·
since 4/10/2009
35,277 Posts
I picked up from my LBS (free of charge) an Enve and an E*13 valve cap, both with a built in valve core tool. Those are worth asking for.
I put some e13 valves on my new Pedalhead build and that cap w/core remover tool is handy.

But yeah, I didn't use caps on my presta valves for awhile...until I bent a bunch of the poppets on my presta valves. So now I use caps. I think they're breeding in my shop because there always seems to be one available if I lose one. I really don't want to lose the e13 one with the core remover, though.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,931 Posts
Wait wait wait, there's a big controversy about valve caps and I didn't know about it? I though I was up to speed on all the latest hot topics.

Picard, I thought you were supposed to ask the hard hitting questions. I think you just got one-upped by mr. Huggles.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,446 Posts
I put some e13 valves on my new Pedalhead build and that cap w/core remover tool is handy.

But yeah, I didn't use caps on my presta valves for awhile...until I bent a bunch of the poppets on my presta valves. So now I use caps. I think they're breeding in my shop because there always seems to be one available if I lose one. I really don't want to lose the e13 one with the core remover, though.
Those poppets get bent on mine from pumping. No matter how careful I am...

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,470 Posts
I picked up my bike from a shop in San Diego and the Presta caps were missing. I was surprised because it's my bike and my stuff. So I asked about it and one of the mechanics said "they aren't needed."

So I asked him why they are still on every @#$%^&* new bike you are selling in your @#$%^&*[email protected]#$%%^ shop?

So he went back and found some and handed them to me.

I then drove to a favorite diner, sat at the counter, and "enjoyed my coffee."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:lol::eek:ut: Blew a gasket, love it,

Wait wait wait, there's a big controversy about valve caps and I didn't know about it? I though I was up to speed on all the latest hot topics.

Picard, I thought you were supposed to ask the hard hitting questions. I think you just got one-upped by mr. Huggles.
Hot Topic!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,470 Posts

I've used them on and off over the years and yes I agree they do help in preventing the poppets [as you call them] from getting bent. ;). Not very often, but I have bent a few. So strange not knowing how they got bent.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't have a problem with the aluminum ones...add a TINY amount of grease to the inner threads to keep 'em moving freely.

These are still overpriced and I think just getting 'em at a shop as suggested above is best, but here are some on amazon if ebay's not your thing and you wanna do matchy matchy colors.
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Presta-Valve-Count-Bubble/dp/B07DP7KFZ9
Why do the aluminum caps require a coat of grease?
I know you said
to keep 'em moving freely.
but I'm not sure why they wouldn't move freely without the grease.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts