Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like my Spider 29er developed a crazy creak last week, only have around 400 miles on it. Never rode it in the rain or washed it with a hose.

Took all the pivots aparts, cleaned and greased VERY well. Some bearings felt gritty/rough but they spun and didn't lock up. They did have some dirt in them, unless the grease was brown, I think they were pretty dirty. Some grease was blueish in color. Put it all back, still creaking. Did it again for the second time, still creaking.

It only happens when I press down on the seat and let it rebound back up REALLY slow. Then you hear the creeak; it's loud, like creeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkkkhhhhhhhh. It also randomly happens on the trail but I can recreated it on demand.

So I pinpointed it down to the bolt at the bottom of the shock, the long skinny one. Put tons of grease around there just to see if it was some metal rubbing but that didn't help. I loosened that bolt and the creek was gone! I can't ride with the bolt this loose but there's no creak when I press down and slowly let it come back up. I was torquing that bolt to 8Nm

Does this mean that the pressure applied by the bolt on the bearings is making the bearings have this crazy sound or could this be something else?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i would hope your bearings aren't shagged - i spent ages - all eight bearings, bottom bracket, loctiting, cleaning, regreasing, "localising" it all over the frame, even took the shock off. turns out it was the derailleur hanger :madman:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I lent a friend my bike while i went on holiday. When i came back hed had my LBS change all the bearings as the bike kept creakin when he was riding back up the trails. If he would have told me first i could have told him it was the seat post!
Never mind, she rides so sweet now!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ants said:
i would hope your bearings aren't shagged - i spent ages - all eight bearings, bottom bracket, loctiting, cleaning, regreasing, "localising" it all over the frame, even took the shock off. turns out it was the derailleur hanger :madman:
Oh sweet! I have to check that when I get back home. I was adjusting it to get a better chain line and that could totally be it! Didn't even think to look at it, thanks.

The captain said:
I lent a friend my bike while i went on holiday. When i came back hed had my LBS change all the bearings as the bike kept creakin when he was riding back up the trails. If he would have told me first i could have told him it was the seat post!
Never mind, she rides so sweet now!
Already checked the seatpost but I'll take it out and clean it again just in case. Gotta do it twice before I'm totally sure anyways. :)

Thanks dudes!

·
WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
112 Posts
Is your shock bolt bent on the older frames the m6 bolt ran through the upper pivot and shock these bent all the time, Probaly the weekest part of the frame. Now days all the bikes have a separate shock bolt and upper pivot bolt.

·
WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
112 Posts
And if you say that when you loosen the bolt the creak goes away this leads me to think that the bolt has a bit of a bent to it and that when you tighten it down its loading one of the bearing unevenly.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
All of my Intense bikes have creaked, especially during climbing. All caused by the seatpost/seattube. Make sure your seatpost has fresh layer of grease. It must be the type of aluminum that Intense uses (or heat treatment, etc.), because my other bikes don't creak like that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, finally got home and it would seem the derailleur was it. :) It didn't look like it was rubbing but it was a TIGHT fit, I mean it had a few millimeters, I thought. So I moved it out of the way and now I can't recreate the sound. All the bolts are torqued and everything seems good; except for the chain line of course. I was on a 2x9 then went back to 3x9 and I'm planing on going 1x9 as soon as I can mod a chain guide that will fit. I still haven't convinced myself that it's the derailleur for sure, at least not until I put my 25 mile ride on it. :) Last 3 times I ended up around the 10 mile mark before the crazy creaking started to come in. Now I'm going to click 'Post' and go try to see if I can recreate the sound again. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.