Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Tooltime forum, but here goes:

I am planning to press my first headset this evening. I'll be using a simple, threaded-rod type arrangement that I bought over eBay. The press is simple, but looks of decent quality.

Do I press both cups at once? Or is it better to press them in one at a time?

Any gotchas I should watch out for?

The headset I'm pressing will be a Cane Creek S-3.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
One at a time, be sure the cup is greased and evenly started and continues to go in evenly, going slowly and carefully. Good luck...

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TLL, this is the press that I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mountain-Bike-R...ryZ27953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was going to buy the full-on, Park press, but the above actually looked pretty decent, so I went with it. It seems a cut above anything I could make at home myself.

Nomit, thanks for the tip about lining up the logo. I would have missed that for sure.

Am going to put off the job until tomorrow. Am hanging with my son this evening. We had coffee with a friend at the ambulance garage, and now we've got a movie to watch.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I pressed my first set of headset cups with a threaded rod, nuts and washers. (Nate has a great pictorial post on this site.) It worked okay, but for my next couple of sets, I decided to get the Sette Press from Pricepoint. It worked much better, though I did have a few problems with the headset cups not going in straight. After reading this thread, I see that I ought to have done them one at a time.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up not pressing the headset. I had bought it to use in building up a Rockhopper 29er frame that I bought over eBay, that came with a headset already installed, but no crown race. I'm scavenging parts from an older, 26er Rockhopper, and I discovered that the crown race from that older bike works just fine with the headset already on the 29er frame. So no point in knocking out the already-installed headset. I just installed the older crown race onto my 29er fork, and I'm good-to-go.

I do have another frame in the works to build up, so the new headset that I bought won't be for naught. I'll press it into other frame once I get to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.