Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm in the process of pressing a ZS44 headset top cup into my 2017 Commencal Meta SX frame. It's wanting an alarming amount of force, my noodle arms can barley manage it! I just wanted to check if it was normal for it to need so much torque to get it in there? It did take a good few whacks to get the old cup out so maybe this frames just got an especially tight fit?

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
How certain are you that the headtube is really round and reamed to spec? I bought a nice steel frame a while back and the headset would NOT go in straight until I took it to the shop and reamed/faced the headtube.

Look up the specs for that and take a few measurements with a good digital caliper.

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've literally just taken the old cup out to do a direct swap (wanted to change over to sealed bearings) so I'm pretty sure the frame is A OK to accept it. I even emailed to check with Commencal that I'd bought the right cups so I'm pretty confident I'm using all the right stuff - maybe I'm just being a wimp and don't like forcing anything!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,767 Posts
You can also try sticking the bearing cup in the freezer for a few hours and heating the head tube up with a hair dryer - should just drop in - PFM (Pure Funny Magic)
Yup. Don't forget the grease too.

#Lifehacks

These days, if a manufacturer can't QC their headtube/headset interface and the BB/threads, they need to be publicly called out. This is basic industrial QC stuff that shouldn't get to the customer and if it is, it's indicative of other QC fails that probably exist with the frame/company, except if it's an Intense. Those are naturally crooked evidently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.