Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out of the game for a while, but in 15 years of riding many road and mountain bikes and removing, greasing, and replacing bottom brackets I have NEVER had one break. I ready briefly about the stupidity of press fit bottom brackets before getting my new bike (Trek Fuel EX8). Well I broke the cable on my dropper post so the LBS had to remove bb to replace. They had to remove the press fit BB and broke it. Is this common? They aren't charging me for a new bb, probably because it is a cheap a$$ Shmano MT500 BB What would be best upgraded BB to minimize/reduce creaking? The reason I accidentally broke the dropper cable is because I developed my first creak and thought it was the seatpost so decided to grease forgetting about the dropper. I wanted to try post first because it wouldn't creak when standing and pedaling, but we all know how BB creaks to be tricky.

Also, bike came with SLX cranks, XT cassette, and RD. Worth upgrading to XT cranks? Weight difference seem negligible. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
SLX cranks are the same weight with XT, see here:

As for the BB, any Shimano PF BB works, a better one than what you had is BB-MT800. And if installed properly it should no creak, at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already orderd some Rogue black with red ring grips..would be some some other weight saving/performance increasing upgrades. I have always been XT. The only thing I can really think of would be black rim red spoke carbon wheels, but that would be $$$$$.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
Yeah, not much difference in those two cranks.
As far as the BB is concerned, you could always upgrade to something that is serviceable like a Wheels Manufacturing BB.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Been out of the game for a while, but in 15 years of riding many road and mountain bikes and removing, greasing, and replacing bottom brackets I have NEVER had one break...
Don't be too quick to blame your LBS. If the BB was dry pressed, then the cups can seize up in the shell. This happened to me once. The BB was dry pressed at the factory and the drive-side cup was impossible to remove without a lot of force, so much force that half the drive-side cup came out along with the bearings. The remaining half of the cup had to be removed separately. I like to use Park Tools anti-seize compound to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I agree with others that the Shimano BB-MT800 is a good upgrade. That BB is extremely well sealed and should work flawlessly if installed properly.

·
Magically Delicious
9,253 Posts
Proper installation is only part of the protection problem.

Incorporating additional practices such as a light grease application to the exterior bearing seal prior to dust seal application. Install in accordance with your specifications and wipe off any residual grease that remains. Followed by establishing appropriate service intervals for your riding style and environment. This would be applicable if you performed the maintenance yourself or sent it out to your LBS to complete.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are mountain bikes going away from press fit BBs? I haven't bought a bike since 2012, and I'm hoping that the next one I buy will be back to threaded BBs and I'll have leapfrogged the horror. I know threaded options are coming back in road - what about mountain?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be too quick to blame your LBS. If the BB was dry pressed, then the cups can seize up in the shell. This happened to me once. The BB was dry pressed at the factory and the drive-side cup was impossible to remove without a lot of force, so much force that half the drive-side cup came out along with the bearings. The remaining half of the cup had to be removed separately. I like to use Park Tools anti-seize compound to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I agree with others that the Shimano BB-MT800 is a good upgrade. That BB is extremely well sealed and should work flawlessly if installed properly.
I wish they would have contacted me before replacing the BB. I would have paid the minimal cost to upgrade.

·
Magically Delicious
9,253 Posts
With your cranks removed and dust seals off, do you not see the bearing? If so, the seal can be removed while remaining on the frame.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
451 Posts
Are mountain bikes going away from press fit BBs? I haven't bought a bike since 2012, and I'm hoping that the next one I buy will be back to threaded BBs and I'll have leapfrogged the horror. I know threaded options are coming back in road - what about mountain?
AFAIK most bikes are using threaded now. someone correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There does seem to be a move away from PF BB’s.

May be that T47 is the solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
2,377 Posts
There does seem to be a move away from PF BB’s.

May be that T47 is the solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank goodness. I hate pressfit BBs with a passion.

That’s a deal breaker for me now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts