Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear glasses but not while I'm riding. Then i started thinking Hey maybe you wouldn't stack as much if you could see where the heII you were going..what a concept".

I'd like to be able to use transitional lenses and need a frame that will fit a wide head. Any links, experience or suggestions are appreciated..peace..

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I got my pair in the fall of last year. My options were severely limited due to the severity of my script. Most wraparound cycling glasses were too round and curvy to fit a lens as thick as mine. If they did crowbar them in, the curvature of the lenses would cause so much distortion I'd think I was in a house of mirrors at a carnival.

Thankfully, the hot chick in the shop recommended some RecSpecs for me. "RecSpecs?! F*ck off!" I thought. No way, I'm riding a bike looking like Kareem Abdul Jabbar or James Worthy. Fortunately, the styles have moved on and they look just like regular wraparound shades from Oakley, Bolle and the like. Best of all, they're designed to take the high script I have.

So I ended up going with a silver pair with near-clear lenses (can't ride with dark glasses under a canopy in the woods) to match my silver Giro E2 helmet. Yeah, I'm all Queer Eye with my bike riding gear.

G

·
I second Zeal

Gill-Again said:
Check out Zeal: www.zealoptics.com. Great optics and plenty durable. They do prescription lenses and you can get a set of interchangable prescription lenses with anti-reflective coating, polarized, etc.
I've got a pair of Lazors with three swappable lenses and love them. I too have a wide head and these fit well. I'd recommend trying on the frame if you can, even if it's at a place that just sells their normal sunglasses. I ended up ordering a pair directly from Zeal because the local Zeal dealers didn't seem too Knowledgeable with respect to prescriptions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
jrm said:
I wear glasses but not while I'm riding. Then i started thinking Hey maybe you wouldn't stack as much if you could see where the heII you were going..what a concept".

I'd like to be able to use transitional lenses and need a frame that will fit a wide head. Any links, experience or suggestions are appreciated..peace..
check out Action Optics; http://www.actionoptics.com/; they offer photochromatic lenses and if you don't have a dealer nearby, give them a call and they will send you out any frames you're interested in to try on before you order. Just have to pay shipping back.

Other than that it doesn't hurt to check out places like Lenscrafters, etc. in your area. Expect to pay $150-250+ for a good pair of prescription sunglasses. I have two pairs, one pair of AO's for fishing and a cheaper set (both polarized) from Lenscrafters for riding, driving etc. and they are definitely worth the money. good luck, LR

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Oakley A Wire frame

I bought Oakley" A wire" frame and the optician installed my polycarbonate clear lens. The lens are shatterproof hence suitable for outdoor sports. I like Oakley A wire frame because it has rubber grips for side temples and thick metal rims. I also used it as my everyday business glasses since it's stylish and fashionable too. there is only a few oakley models that are suitable for outdoor sports. You would have to check the Oakley site for information. The " A wire " frame is slightly bent backward thus RX lens can be install without difficulty.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Shannon-UT said:
I bought a pair of Ray Bans. They were able to put the Rx lens in for me. THey cover the eye socket well, and I use them for all outdoor sports.
Me too, with transition brown lens.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I 3rd the Zeal Lazors

UKMac said:
I've got a pair of Lazors with three swappable lenses and love them. I too have a wide head and these fit well. I'd recommend trying on the frame if you can, even if it's at a place that just sells their normal sunglasses. I ended up ordering a pair directly from Zeal because the local Zeal dealers didn't seem too Knowledgeable with respect to prescriptions.
Check these guys out.

http://www.rx-spex.com/home/index.html

They are Tri people and get out to a lot of places. Jim is very good to deal with, and made me a pair of transition lenses and I could not be happier.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've been wearing contacts on the bike for years, but two of my riding buddies have gone through the prescription glasses gamut for MTB

--Performance and Rudy Project and Smith all sell "oakley style, shield lens" glasses with swappable lenses, and an "insert for your prescription lenses that either clips or is bonded to the nose-piece. You buy their regular glasses, plus the "prescription adaptor" and then have the optometrist install lenses to the adaptor. This lets you use any swappable lens, ie the brown, the amber, the clear. The Performance system is the bargain of the bunch, but both buddies had frustrations with the insert frames cracking up 6 months after purchase and subsequent warranty...cracks again.

--My one buddy now buys regular "cool " sunglasses of eBay or the various big-box sports stores, then takes them to his optometrist to instert poly lenses of their own. He's got Black Fly glasses he chose for the frame style, with his prescription inside for $110 by the optometrist.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Bolle Spiral Wraps with my script and bolle does the lenses even have the little b on the lense, you can not tell they are persciption. I got them at Walmart optical dept for $189.00 with a one year crash warrenty. I should have bought 2 pair they are discontiuing that frame right now so if your center has them you get 55 bucks off the normal price.

G

·
I bought a pair of Ray Bans. They were able to put the Rx lens in for me.
Same here, been using them for years. Actually, they are not Ray Bans, but cheap knock-offs so nobody would steal them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the Ray Ban RB 3198 (metal frames) and took them to LensCrafters. Sunglass Hut is apparently owned by Lenscrafters. When I bought the frames, LC had a deal that sunglass lenses were 50% off if you bought the frames there...so I got 50% off since technically Sunglass Hut is LC. Needless to say, the selection at SH is a lot better, so if you can get this deal at LC, go for it.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
I just bought a second regular pair of glasses, had them polarized and tinted. They're my prescription riding glasses, walking glasses, driving glasses, beach glasses etc...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ride with Bolle Parole glasses. Bolle also makes a pair called Vigilante, which looks the same but is slightly larger. Both come with 4 interchangable sets of lenses (clear, rose, brown, and smoke mirror). The Rx lenses sit in their own frame/adapter and snap in behind the tinted lenses. The great thing about that, is that if your Rx changes, you can go to Walmart and get new lenses put in the Rx adapter for $40/pair. I use the mirror lenses on my road bike when it's sunny, but use the red on my MTB when it's sunny or the clear ones when it's evening or cloudy (I MTB in wooded areas). I found this to be the best solution for versatility. Especially if a ride starts out sunny but clouds move in or I'm out long enough that the sun is going down. I keep the case with the other lenses in my Camelback. And because they wrap around pretty far, I can also use them for skiing on warmer days. I also have Ray Bans with Rx lenses that are a darker mirror blue, that I sometimes use on the road bike when it's sunny.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.