Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seniority in life, has caused me to need prescription lenses for distance now.

I'm looking for a clear antifog lens, with a antislip nose piece. Looks like Oakley Jawbreakers might fit the requirements, but they have a weird lens insert.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Two Tired
395 Posts
I think the "weird lens insert" is required if you want the wrap-around lens style in the Jawbreaker. I have Oakley Flak Jacket 2 glasses and they work well for me. Instead of clear lenses you might want to consider the transitions (photochromic) lens. I find this is very use for rides at the start or end of the day or on trails with mixed dark woods and open areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the Oakley Flak Jacket. I have regular dark sunglasses lenses as well as the yellowish trail lenses I often use on the bike due to the darkness from tree cover. It just takes 20 seconds to change the lenses out.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I have and use the Oakley Racing Jackets as my everyday prescription eyewear. While the Racing Jackets are no longer made, you can find plenty of them on eBay. I had SportRx do the prescription, great company( many other brands and styles to choose from on their website) and they were quick and accurate.

·
Registered
382 Posts
SportRx is the bomb! Have several pairs. If your new glasses don't fit or prescription isn't right, they will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a wet climate, do the Flak lenses fog up? Can you get the clear photochromic lenses with the Flak frames? Looked on their website, couldn't see any.

I live in Vancouver, BC, so I don't know if sportsrx would be a viable option.

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
77 Posts
I use the Oakley Flak Jacket. I have regular dark sunglasses lenses as well as the yellowish trail lenses I often use on the bike due to the darkness from tree cover. It just takes 20 seconds to change the lenses out.
I use the Flak Jacket as well, with the "XLJ" lenses. You can get lenses for a somewhat reasonable price from sportRX.com or directly from oakley. The sunglasses lenses are quite pricey but if you just need clears they're not too bad. If I were you I would look into the more modern "Flak 2.0" or other similar frames so long as there's a good selection of prescription lenses for them, because the OG Flak Jackets have been around a LONG time. I actually just bought a set of backup frames since I have prescription lenses for them already just in case the frames get discontinued.

As for the fogging issue, I only experience fogging in VERY humid weather (I live in southeastern PA, so plenty of humidity) if I stop for an extended period of time. I would think just about any single lense (not dual lense like a ski goggle) would do the same given the conditions.

-DS

·
Registered
28 Posts
My seniority in life, has caused me to need prescription lenses for distance now.

I'm looking for a clear antifog lens, with a antislip nose piece. Looks like Oakley Jawbreakers might fit the requirements, but they have a weird lens insert.

Anyone have any recommendations?
BOLLE and Rudy Project both can do wrap-around prescription sunglass lenses, for a price, if your prescription is in a certain range. I'm pretty sure certain Oakley frames can also have prescriptions without an insert.

I've used both BOLLE and Rudy Projects, and they are very good. I've never experienced problems with fogging or slipping. There are several coating options available that can help with issues like fogging, scratching, or reflections. They are also available in progressive vision and transitions-type light adjusting lenses. If you pile on the options, they get very expensive though.

I did try one year to go with a cheaper alternative, and that was a mistake. Many other brands are all really made by one mega conglomerate, and lack quality. The brand I tried seemed good in the store, but when prescription lenses were added the extra weight made them slip horribly. The cookie-cutter design did not allow for adjustment (e.g. no nose-pads and temples that could not be adjusted), so the issue could not be corrected. These glasses are nearly unusable just driving a car, much less using on a bike.

As far as lens insert type sunglasses, I've only ever tried one brand, and they were OK. The annoying thing with this particular set was that the insert had to sit too close to my eyes, and my eyelashes would brush along the inside and cause smudges constantly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
How are you guys faring with wraparounds? I have a problem with my wraparounds flattening everything so it looks far away and flat. Fishbowl vision.

makes features look really small till I'm flying off of them.

is it just me, or did they cut the lenses wrong? I've had them for a few months now. I can focus on lettering now (that always takes a week to get used to with new glasses), but the wraparound thing is just not getting fixed.

·
Sneaker man
3,379 Posts
I have Oakly half jackets and also racing jackets with vented lenses. Both will still fog up, the ones with the vented lenses clear faster. The fogging isn't really an issue unless its really cold, and your going slow, or you stop. I have more issues with them getting sweaty, as in sweat dripping on the the lenses.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,011 Posts
No such thing as glasses that don't fog up.

Reactions: mik_git

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
77 Posts
How are you guys faring with wraparounds? I have a problem with my wraparounds flattening everything so it looks far away and flat. Fishbowl vision.

makes features look really small till I'm flying off of them.

is it just me, or did they cut the lenses wrong? I've had them for a few months now. I can focus on lettering now (that always takes a week to get used to with new glasses), but the wraparound thing is just not getting fixed.
I do not experience this issue wearing my flak jackets, but I have a fairly light prescription.

-DS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts