Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,880 Posts
Some undoubtedly are.

Most are fine. I rode in granite basin today, but only on the trails that drain and do not have terrible mud. Some of them have some pretty bad mud. Check my posts in this thread;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204788

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jayem said:
Some undoubtedly are.

Most are fine. I rode in granite basin today, but only on the trails that drain and do not have terrible mud. Some of them have some pretty bad mud. Check my posts in this thread;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204788
Also rode Granite Basin today - mud is there, but it isn't the death clay mud YET. Looks like some significant rainfall happening in that area tonight so I would avoid Williamson Valley area, and the TH in the Dineh/Katahn neighborhood. All other Prescott area trails should be better than ever. A little rain does wonders for grip.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info both of you. I never have never ridden in prescott. I was thinking about heading up sun or monday. I might go to flag instead depending on the conditions. I'll post up if im headed up to prescott and maybee we could hook up, if you dont mind my slow pace sometimes.
Thanks again!

·
3,049 Posts
Just got back from a 4 hour loop in the Spruce Mtn area, and the trails are in fine shape indeed. 305 is very sticky, 307 free of dust, and generally all systems are go! Some puddles on shady fire roads, but nothing to worry about. And very nice temps early.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, the trails were perfect in the Thumb Butte area this early! a.m. Nice temps, but boy was it humid. Nice to finally have some rain - too bad it comes packaged with lightning in these here parts. Fire starting lightning.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
are there any camping areas in the spruce mtn. area...? Thinking about heading up tomorrow morning.
You can still camp in developed sites (no dispersed camping), but no campfires. Best bet would be Lynx Lake. Roll out of your tent onto the trail. The other side of Spruce Mtn would be Wolf Creek. That could work as well, but not as convenient to the established trails as starting at Lynx Lake.

Keep in mind you will likely get rained on in the late afternoon/early evening. Also even though you are headed up Sunday - could be crowded due to 4th of July and Coconino being closed. Good to see they are opening up again....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just got back from Lynx Lake after a week off. There's lots of good mountain biking to be had, and the trails dry off rather quickly -- about 16 hours after the rain they're pretty much OK to go. (It rained pretty much every afternoon, and one day for more than four hours straight, with an excellent lightening show every afternoon.)

Forget about camping, though. Because of the closures to dispersed camping, the forest dwellers have all moved into the campgrounds, and the rest of the camping spots filled up on Friday morning.

Anyways, the condition of the trails was generally great -- pretty much ego traction everywhere and hardly any mud. The atmosphere was a combination of heat, altitude and humidity which makes for a hot, sweaty, tiring ride.

I did manage a nice loop up Smith Ravine and down the Watershed and Seven Mile OHV trails, which are closed to OHV's under the fire restrictions. These normally rocky, dusty trails had an excellent raindrop patina and no tracks except the occasional animal track, and my own fat tire track behind. I wouldn't recommend trying to ascend the Seven Mile trail any time though, it seems a bit steep for a mountain bike.

Trail 305 is lots of fun because of all the twists and turns and little hills. I took my daughter on the trailer bike on a short few sections of this, but she gets bumped around pretty good and tolerates only a few miles of this. (It's great to have a little turbo booster on the back for an extra sprint up those little hills.)

If you do go out to Lynx Lake watch out for the Schnozwanger (Sikorsky Sky Crane) which is supposedly going to start drinking from the lake this weekend.

Dave

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,880 Posts
hikerdave said:
If you do go out to Lynx Lake watch out for the Schnozwanger (Sikorsky Sky Crane) which is supposedly going to start drinking from the lake this weekend.

Dave
There's more than just one. It depends on where the fire is though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.