Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
No idea, there is private property close, but that sounds weird.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
If it is anything like the bottom of 305, they just mowed out all the small bushes and forgot to sweep off the trail. I imagine the trail is still in there somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dash Riprock™ said:
349? As in Granite Basin 349? That makes zero sense. From Cayuse, where exactly you talking about?
Riding from the lake towards cayuse I think. I don't know the names/numbers to well. Probably "thinning", but it seemed really bad

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have no doubt it looks bad. Hopefully it's a treatment that prevents those trails from looking like the Shultz Pass area trails of last year. I can't speak to the conditions up there but down here (SE AZ) it's shaping up to be a scary fire season. Be grateful you got an ounce of prevention even if it sucks in the short term.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The first half is bad. I talked to a forest ranger and he said they have volunteers ready to clean it up at some point. They were mowing down trees as I was riding today. Check out the video link below. This area still looks okay but other parts don't have a tree standing anymore.

-Doug

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
The honcho in charge of the trails at PNF has specifically requested on a few occasions that the contractor NOT drive their machinery on the trails and refrain from otherwise impacting the trails in any way, but they refuse to listen.

It will all recover within a year or two.

My beef is: lose the machinery and pay workers to do it by hand. There's no shortage of people looking for work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was riding the trails at Alto Pit the other week and they have gone into the east side of that park. They are most definitely using all the OHV trails as access to areas. Impossible to follow trails at this point. I have to say it looks like utter shite. They took all the pines but left the junipers and some oaks.

I was pretty peeved when they "thinned" Alto a few years back. Left all the dead trees, and never did a thing with all the slash. Just took all the profitable trees out and left the junk. So I just hope that this crew cleans up after themselves...

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
RosedaleReaper said:
no impact on the Prescott Monstercross course i hope?
FIFY :thumbsup:

Sadly however from the cue sheets...

At the first right go across road and continue on #351 to #349 go left. Take #349 across a paved road all the way till it ends at #346.
no bueno.

·
1,471 Posts
Noelg said:
FIFY :thumbsup:

Sadly however from the cue sheets...

no bueno.
Ah well. It ain't an AES race if there isn't some unforseen obstacle. That's what makes these things so interesting and fun.

Even with this, I'm really looking forward to the Monstercross. It is my favorite of the AES series.

·
Explore More
393 Posts
dtownmtb said:
Ah well. It ain't an AES race if there isn't some unforseen obstacle. That's what makes these things so interesting and fun.

Even with this, I'm really looking forward to the Monstercross. It is my favorite of the AES series.
Actually, there should be a simple reroute to the problem area. And you don't loose anything of interest, difficulty or distance.

Just go clockwise thru 351 and 349 to the road and on to 332. Look at the attached image. Standard PMC route is in green, the reroute is in red.

The area for the reroute hasn't been tore up too, has it?

Attachments

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
DesertDog said:
Actually, there should be a simple reroute to the problem area. And you don't loose anything of interest, difficulty or distance.

Just go clockwise thru 351 and 349 to the road and on to 332. Look at the attached image. Standard PMC route is in green, the reroute is in red.

The area for the reroute hasn't been tore up too, has it?
Actually, even BETTER, and waaaaaay better, is to take 351 to the parking area, then head up the double-track on 346 almost to the gate, then go right on 332. That is all dirt, and a good climb up 332 to Granite Basin Road.

Part of my "standard loop" from Thumb Butte...:thumbsup:

·
Explore More
393 Posts
waltaz said:
Actually, even BETTER, and waaaaaay better, is to take 351 to the parking area, then head up the double-track on 346 almost to the gate, then go right on 332. That is all dirt, and a good climb up 332 to Granite Basin Road.

Part of my "standard loop" from Thumb Butte...:thumbsup:
I put a comment for Chad out on the PMC page with both of the possible reroutes. Not my event, so I don't know if they will change the routing or just leave it as is and deal with it?

Here is a link to the Prescott Monstercross page for anyone that wants to see the info on the route and event or download the course tracks.

http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Bad is a polite way to describe what USED to be beautiful trails to ride along that offered shade too. Trail 318 along with 332 I believe near Thumb Butte also butchered and NOWHERE near housing or any road, so for FS to tell us it is for a fire break is COMPLETE BS! Most of us myself included came here because of the Forest, and now so many areas are just being laid to waste. Gotta love the way our corrupt Gov't does whatever it wants with what should be land for us to enjoy. Lets have some more P-town residents put in their $.02 and lets let FS know what we think of this!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
tls36 said:
Bad is a polite way to describe what USED to be beautiful trails to ride along that offered shade too. Trail 318 along with 332 I believe near Thumb Butte also butchered and NOWHERE near housing or any road, so for FS to tell us it is for a fire break is COMPLETE BS! Most of us myself included came here because of the Forest, and now so many areas are just being laid to waste. Gotta love the way our corrupt Gov't does whatever it wants with what should be land for us to enjoy. Lets have some more P-town residents put in their $.02 and lets let FS know what we think of this!!
So, the FS is doing it just to do it? Oh, and also they're corrupt? And corrupt people don't like trees (apparently)?

Care to connect a couple more dots?

No doubt, in your mind, they're doing something stupid, but malice need not be involved. Have you contacted the FS to ask why they are doing it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.